We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Hotel Gardone, Lake Garda - bad news!!

Berkshire
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Grand Hotel Gardone, Lake Garda - bad news!!

I have opened the paper this morning to find a spread on the Grand Hotel where a Briton died on Sunday from food poisioning with about 40 others taken ill too. This has horrified me as we are due to go there in mid July and are now very worried about staying there. The newspaper article has said something about the fish and the bbc site has mentioned salmonella! Has anyone stayed there last week and now home, or anyone been taken ill and now back at home. I really need to know what to do. I have contacted Citalia whom we have booked through and apparently they will be contacting customers soon to let them know where the situation stands. I did ask if there was a possibility of being put up in another 4 star hotel of similar status such as the Savoy just near the Grand but obviously they wouldn't commit themselves just yet until they had a report from the hotel themselves.

Would like to hear others' opinions on this situation please - it's worrying me like anything especially as I thought I had researched and chosen a fab hotel and the food has always been praised on the forum.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Hotel Gardone, Lake Garda - bad news!!

Oh Cheryl, these are dreadful events, without a doubt. I just read the bbc news. Those poor people - I feel so sorry for them. And I fully understand your worries.

You know, however, what a big fan I am of this hotel and I can't help thinking this could happen anywhere. I read a similar item quite recently but that hotel was in Riva. Dozens of guests were confined to the hotel for days on end. It will be interesting to find out what happened at The Grand. It was suggested that it's possible it could have been a contaminated batch of fish.

I feel for you - I really do. But I still maintain that you *have* chosen a fab hotel and I sincerely hope that everything is sorted out before you go.

If I find out any news, I'll let you know.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
49,670 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Hotel Gardone, Lake Garda - bad news!!

Cheryl,

I would think after todays news, this very well respected Hotel will pull all stops out, it will be pristine,

I thought of you when I heard it on Breakfast TV, I recalled you were going to stay there, but lightening does not strike twice,

yorkshire
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Hotel Gardone, Lake Garda - bad news!!

I quite agree and do share your concerns..HOWEVER.. we went there on our honeymoon and the professionalism and dedication from all the staff would give me confidence to go there again. It does remind me of the case in Scotland when a butcher supplied meat for a wedding with dire consequences [John Barr???]. A great reputation for a lovely organisation can be ruined by a supplier. I do feel that given their problems..... and lets remember that it is not yet confirmed that it is a problem caused by the hotel yet.. they will be ULTRA vigilant, so do go and enjoy your holiday in one of the loveliest places in the world!!! Please do post information of your end decision, and how you got on. Kindest regards XXX etc

london
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Hotel Gardone, Lake Garda - bad news!!

My husband and I were also due to stay at the Grand Gardone next week and booked through Citalia. As Citalia could not find us another hotel of the same standard we have been given a full refund and we have now booked for the Caribbean. We were very disappointed as we were really looking forward to our stay in the Grand Gardone but think it is unlikely to have the same atmosphere especially in the restaurant. We did have to speak to a manager at Citalia but after a heated discussion she agreed to give us a refund.

Surrey
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Hotel Gardone, Lake Garda - bad news!!

Hi Cheryl, We returned from this hotel just prior to the salmonella outbreak. The only thing I have to say is that whilst we were there the food was absolutely fantastic, I am sure they were unlucky with a bad batch of fish, because you couldn't wish for better food! The hotel itself was lovely and the staff very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel and know you will enjoy your stay there. I am sure this sort of thing can happen anywhere, don't worry, go and enjoy yourselves, it's lovely! Especially the piano bar in the evening! Jeanne

Wetherby, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Hotel Gardone, Lake Garda - bad news!!

Hi Cheryl

I just returned on Saturday from the Grand and despite the very sad events over the week, had a wonderful holiday. When I left the kitchens had been closed for a couple of days having had a thorough steam clean and every piece of food being destroyed. As far as I am aware there is still no conclusive evidence to say where the food poisoning outbreak occurred.

The staff have been doing a fantastic job and temporary kitchens and outside caterers have been employed in the interim. It was hoped, following thorough investigation, the kitchens would be pronounced okay on 1st July and normal service would resume. A number of tour operators were taking their clients to other hotels, only because the hotel could not offer the usual extensive choice of menu but hopefully this will be resolved once the kitchens are open.

I am sure your tour operator will keep you informed as to the kitchen situation. I would have no hesitation in going back to the Grand (there is no other place like it on the Lake). A number of guests refused the offer of alternative hotels, prefering to stay at the Grand which I think says a lot.

Regards

Dorothy Ternent

Leeds

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
747 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Hotel Gardone, Lake Garda - bad news!!

Hi Cheryl. If this situation is worrying you then i think that you should insist on either a full refund or a move to another hotel. A holiday is to precious to spend any time worrying or being anxious in any way beforehand or whilst there.

If the holiday company refuse (which they most probably will) then insist that you want it in writing that if you become ill whilst there that they accept full responsibility.

Gloucestershire
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Hotel Gardone, Lake Garda - bad news!!

We have stayed at this hotel 3 times in the last 2 years. It is a superb hotel - super food, efficient staff, lovely rooms overlooking the lake. We left two days before the outbreak - it was difficult to believe what we read as we could not fault the

hotel in any way, particularly the cleanliness throughout the

hotel.

We imagine that after this scare this must be the safest and

best hotel in Italy!

When we were there the temperatures were in the low 60's but

within 24 hours the temperature was 98F - this must have

had something to do with the outbreak, as it occurred just the

day after the very hot weather arrived.

9. Re: Grand Hotel Gardone, Lake Garda - bad news!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, October 03, 2009