We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK to Ancona by car with 5 overnight stops

Which Garda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northampton, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
UK to Ancona by car with 5 overnight stops

Hi

We are 2 60+ year olds driving from UK to Crete at the end of April and want to spend 5 nights whilst travelling from Calais to Ancona.

We don't want to stay in cities but have broken the journey roughly

1. Calais to Cologne area

2. Cologne to Heidelberg area

3. Heidelberg to Munich area

4. Munich to Verona

5. Verona to Bologna/Ancona

We will use the motorways most of the time but would like to visit places en route to break up the monotony and visit scenic areas/

castles etc. Any suggestions please?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,585 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK to Ancona by car with 5 overnight stops

As you are travelling mostly through Germany, post on the Germany forum for information.

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

www.italia.it/en/home.html

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,252 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK to Ancona by car with 5 overnight stops

For your information whe I used to live in the UK I drove from Northwest England near Preston to Lazise on lake Garda (close to Verona) with one stop near Heidelberg.

Leave nr Preston 7am - Dover - Calais - Lille - Namur - stay south of Brussels/Liege - Aachen - Cologne/Köln - Mannheim/Heidelberg.

Next day as we were going direct we went

Karlsruhe - Stuttgart Ulm - A7 south to Füssen (Neuschanstein castle if Interested www.neuschwanstein.de) over Telfs to the A12 then to Innsbruck the A13 Brenner to Italy

I drive a lot to Lazise from Munich. Been to Lazise every year for the last 20 years. It only takes ~ 4hrs to drive from Munich.

MUNICH

In Munich there is a "Green Zone" and only vehicles with a special sticker are allowed in. Basically you can drive on Munichs RIng ROad "Mittlerer Ring" and anything outside it is ok

Don't worry you can still park and be within the city limits and get a hotel just outside of this zone but still be on good public transport connections

e.g.

Here's the Munich city transport map

mvv-muenchen.de/fileadmin/media/Dateien/plae…

On the U5 you will find Michaelibad station. From here the U-Bahns (underground) run every 10mins and only take 10mins to the city centre. A day ticket for 2-5 people for unlimited use of transport in the White zone "Inneraum" Inner district is only €10.60

mvv-muenchen.de/en/…index.html

Michaelibad is on the Heinrich Wieland strasse

This Hotel is nearby

www.ostparkhotel.de/index.php?m_id=1&s_id=2

It is a short drive (5mins) to the top of the A8 Salzburger Autobahn to head south for Verona.

Across the road from the Hotel you will also find the Ostpark - local park with Biergarten (my local ) and restaurant

www.michaeligarten.de

MUNICH TO VERONA

To drive on the Autobahns in Austria you require a Vignette. Costs €8.30 for 10 days. YOu can buy it at many rest stops between Munich and the Austrian border on the A8 Salzburg Autobahn or on the A93 Inntal Autobahn towards Kufstein.

The A13 Brenner Autobahn from Innsbruck to Italy is an additional toll road. Cost €8. Pay at the toll booth.

LAKE GARDA

Instead of Verona you could simply stay on Lake Garda. I often drive in to Verona from Lazise (~ 30mins) and you can park close to the Arena at Piazza Citadella which is on the Via Andrea Paglieri just off the Corso Porta Nuova

BOLOGNA

When I drive into Bologna I normally park at the Piazza dell 8 Agosto underground parking (note see ZTL below)

ITALY AND THE DREADED ZTL

In Italy there are restricted traffic zones "Zona Traffico Limitato" where permit holders only may drive. YOu will find them in large cities and also in small towns and villages. These are found most often around the old town/city centres.

These zones are overlooked by cameras which take pictures of the vehicles number plates. It is an offence EVERY time you pass a camera. Fines often €100+ a go so you can rack up huge fines driving around lost.

There are often also oneway systems though the old parts of the towns/cities and you could find yourself on a oneway ticket to a fine

The standard sign for these zones is the European standard white circle with a red circle border.

Same/similar as the standard UK Highway code sign for "NO VEHICLES"

https://www.gov.uk/road-signs-giving-orders

Sometimes it will have the letters ZTL in the middle. Sometimes this sign is on a large white rectangle with "ZONA TRAFFICO LIMITATO" written on it, sometimes accompanied by electronic info boxes and even flashing lights HOWEVER some are still the basic "lollipop" sign. These can be easily missed especially if you are lost caught in traffic etc. I have actually seen the old ones bent round (obviously hit by a lorry) and I once saw a delivery lorry parked such that it obscured the sign. In old cities they are sometimes high up on building sides rather than street level on a pole.

EXAMPLE

As I said in Bologna I park at the Piazza dell 8 Agosto parking.

To access this parking you go down the Via Irnerio then you turn right on the Via Alessandrini. This is a oneway street heading towards the ZTL. If you stay in the right hand lane the road turns to the right along the Via Ciro Menotti to the car park avoiding the ZTL. Immediately Straight ahead form this junction is the ZTL and the camera.

If you just google "ZTL2 and select pictures you will get loads of examples

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,252 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK to Ancona by car with 5 overnight stops

I meant google "ZTL" - bloody caps lock.

Northampton, United...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: UK to Ancona by car with 5 overnight stops

Thank you for taking the trouble to give us so much information and advice.We have now decided to stay overnight near Heidelberg and then at either Bardolina or Latise and have a couple of days there. Any B and B or hotel recommendations?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,252 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK to Ancona by car with 5 overnight stops

Depends on your budge but in Lazise you could try www.hotelgiuliettaromeo.com/sett.asp?id=1

Not directly in Lazise but a very short walk. Located close to the main roundabout in Lazise (on the Strada Provinciale 5 close to the roundabout junction of Via Gardesana). Only 500m to the main Piazza Vittorio Emanuelle in the centre of Lazise.

You can simply cross over the roundabout and walk down Via Pra del Principe then turn right on the Via Rosenheim (pedestrian walk way) into the town centre or simply cross over the roundabout turn right then after a few metres go left through the park. it also comes out on the via Rosenheim. You will pass our favourite restaurant Al Castello built in the old castle wall grounds (only 350m from the Hotel).

On the Via Gardesana near the roundabout is the Palazzo della Scala. More expensive

http://www.palazzodellascala.it/eng/

6. Re: UK to Ancona by car with 5 overnight stops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Garda