We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you pronounce "Erice"?

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
953 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
How do you pronounce "Erice"?

Is it "en-ree-chay"? with the emphasis on the "ree".

I never thought to ask similar questions before discovering that Capri is pronounced "Kah-Pree" with the emphasis on "Pree". Also, who would think that Ischia is "ee-skia" with the emphasis on "ee". Live and learn...

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you pronounce "Erice"?

http://translate.google.com/?vi=c&hl=en#auto|en|erice

Hit the loudspeaker icon in the left box.

Ferrara, Italy
Level Contributor
336 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you pronounce "Erice"?

The stress is on the first syllable for all 3 names you mentioned: E-ri-ce, CA-pri (not ca-PRI) and I-schia.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
953 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do you pronounce "Erice"?

Thanks FarralonesCA and Mequese. Hearing it spoken makes all the difference.

Ferrara, Italy
Level Contributor
336 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do you pronounce "Erice"?

Prego, and brava for making the effort. A few others with the stress on the first syllable (and often mispronounced by foreigners): BRIN-di-si, TRA-pa-ni, MO-de-na.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,338 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do you pronounce "Erice"?

E-ri-ce,

Spelling it this way for an English speaker to figure out how to prounounce it, is not so helpful because we have different sounds for the written vowel than in Italian. It is possible that Italian don't recognize that the rest of the world doens't naturally do this, but the c followed by the e is pronounced like CH instead of like the K sound

Ay-ree-chay

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,482 posts
722 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do you pronounce "Erice"?

I think Mequise wanted just to point which syllable is stressed writing in the normal spelling, with no intention of making a phonetic transcription useful for English native speakers (who are not "the rest of the world", anyway).

Edited: 5:00 pm, June 20, 2012
Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
13,482 posts
722 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do you pronounce "Erice"?

Mequese not Mequise, sorry.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
108,899 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How do you pronounce "Erice"?

It is a fabulous tool and so much more pleasant than struggling with the phonetics on a pronunciation key. It brings life to language....

http://goo.gl/yUGmY

Vagabonda

Ferrara, Italy
Level Contributor
336 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do you pronounce "Erice"?

Indeed, I was focussing on which syllable to stress, as the OP seemed to have already understood the other mechanics, such as the soft c of Erice vs the hard c of Ischia.

That translating tool (which I have as an app on my phone and have used to translate into Chinese) can be very useful, but it's not foolproof; just listen to how Trapani is (mis)pronounced.

10. Re: How do you pronounce "Erice"?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:06 pm, June 20, 2012
Edited: 7:06 pm, June 20, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Erice