We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

corvara ski advice

Which Corvara in Badia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
25 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
corvara ski advice

Hey guys!

I am planning a ski trip to the dolomites in December. I will be flying into Venice and planning to stay in Corvara for a week. I need help with some logistics!

1. How do you get to Corvara from Venice via public transport or ski shuttles? I looked around for Buses etc but it's just not too clear. I don't want to rent a car, unless I can drive out there without chains etc. (which I don't think is possible during that time right??) Also I'm not keen on the private shuttle services that would cost 100 - 200 Euros.

2. Once I am in Corvara, are there buses that you can take to tour other villages? eg, if I wanted to have dinner or apre ski somewhere other than Corvara? I know you can ski and stop at different places, but that is during lift operation hours correct? Also what about going to places like Cortina? or even somewhere far like Innsbruck for a day trip? Are you pretty much just stuck in one village without a car and have to depend on skiing to get around?

3. Ski Touring! there are a bunch of routes (other than Sella Ronda) that I have read up about... like the World War tour, gourmet food tour etc. Without a guide or following someone who knows the route, are you pretty much out of luck? Are there maps that will tell you how to ski the routes?

thank you!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,690 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: corvara ski advice

1. General public transport transfer would be long and convoluted.By far the best option of going to the Dolomites from Venice is the Cortina Express bus service. There are various services.

www.cortinaexpress.it

On Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundaysat 14.00 there is a direct service to Corvara (over various resorts) - takes ~4hrs

cortinaexpress.it/res/download/pdf/186_en.pdf

If you can't make these days you are in for a convoluted route.

As there is at least one Cortina Express daily service direct from Venice to Cortina it is the quickest way to get to the area

cortinaexpress.it/res/download/pdf/190_en.pdf ; however there is no bus services going "west" towards Corvara, Val Gardena etc. The only link out of Cortina is going on the 445 bus to Dobbiaco, train to Brunico then 460 bus to Corvara - this part takes 3hrs

www.sii.bz.it for local public transport solutions for this area of the dolomites.

By public transport is a real "round" trip.

Basically

Train Venice to Verona

Train Verona to Bressanone

401 Bus Bressanone to San Lorenzo

460 Bus San Lorenzo to Corvara

www.sii.bz.it will give you transport solutions from Verona to Corvara - over 4hrs. Venice to Verona depending on which type of train you get will take 1-2hrs so overall time will be at least 6hrs.

This website will also show travel solutions using the German/Austrian Intercity services from Verona (to Munich) which stop at Bressanone.

Also you should be aware that the best links at certain times of day uses a German/Austrian intercity service from Verona to Bressanone. The Germans are responsible for all cross border intercity services and run 5 services daily from Verona to Munich calling at Bressanone. Problem is that the Italians stopped co-operating with the Germans in ticketting services a few years ago over a dispute over these services so you will find it difficult to buy a through ticket from Venice to Bressanone using these services. The "childish" italians have even gone as far as not even showing these German rail services on their website despite them existing.

www.trenitalia.com for Italian rail

www.bahn.de for german rail

www.oebb.at for Austrian rail

So best route may be still get the Cortina express to Cortina, Bus to Dobbiaco, train to Brunico and bus to Corvara but check connection times with the Cortina express on www.sii.bz.it as the local buses don't run late

Edited: 4:11 am, November 05, 2011
Seattle
Level Contributor
25 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: corvara ski advice

Thanks for all the information!

We are trying to explore the option of heading out to Corvara on the day that we arrive in Venice... We will Arrive at the Airport at 5pm. It looks like that is too late for the shuttle buses.

Are there any Public transport options that leave this late?

Thanks!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,690 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: corvara ski advice

Unfortunately not. You can not even get to San Lorenzo or Brunico and get a taxi. The last train link alone to San Lorenzo/Brunico would be the 16:20 from Venice arriving Brunico at 21:20 ish

The closest you can get departing Venice after 5pm is the 18:20 Venice to Verona then Verona to Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck arriving Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck at 21:47 - there is one later connection www.trenitalia.com for trains

Then you would have to arrange a transfer. Try to contact a local company for quote e.g.

http://www.taxibadia.it/servizi.php?lan=en

and a general list for Alta Badia

altabadia.org/it-IT/taxi_alta_badia_dolomiti…

No idea of price but as a general rule in Italy Taxi journey/transfers after 10pm normally incur a 20% night surcharge.

As an example this company quotes a price from Ponte Gardena to Val Gardena ( 20km) in the evening of €40 - not a bad price - maybe you can get a quote to take you on to Corvara (40km so maybe €80) - generally a standard taxi price (e.g. regulated urban/surburban) in the evening is about €2 per km

Bear in mind you have to shop around

e.g. for the Distance from Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck to Corvara (40km) one would normally expect to pay €80-100 and based on the above company seems that way. However I have seen Bolzano to Corvara (62km) quoted at €220 - consider this when from Innsbruck airport Taxi-Tirol charge €240 to Corvara (136km)

Edited: 2:55 am, November 07, 2011
Seattle
Level Contributor
25 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: corvara ski advice

Ok cool thanks! I will look at your suggested route with Taxi transfer!

Now my follow up question is... I need to get back from Corvara to Venice on a Friday... Cortina Express won't be possible, are there any other shuttle companies?

Thanks!!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,690 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: corvara ski advice

Directly then as far as I know No.

The only direct Cortina Express service to Venice is the 0845 Cortina-Venice service (runs everyday no (10) )

cortinaexpress.it/res/download/pdf/172_it.pdf

You would have to get a taxi from Corvara to Cortina - Maybe again looking at €80 (about 1hr); however bear in mind that although they endeavour to keep the passes open and drivable nobody can predict the weather.

Only other option is the public transport link. 460 Bus Corvara to Brunico, train to Fortezza/Franzenfeste, train to Verona then Verona to Venice (using links I gave in #1)

6. Re: corvara ski advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, June 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Corvara in Badia