We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cortina for one week in early Sept 2012

Which Cortina d'Ampezzo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Whakatane, New...
Level Contributor
540 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Cortina for one week in early Sept 2012

Hi everyone,

We are holding a t/share week at Sporting Hotel Villa Blu Cortina.

The plan is to fly into Venice Marco Polo airport rent a car for the week and drive to our accomodation near Cortina. "I have read it is our of town by about 15 mins".

We would love some suggestions on where we could visit each day with our rental car. I read Austria is 44km away, would Lake Como be achievable in a day. Any suggestions on towns and scenic drives which I am sure are numberous in this gorgeous part of Italy would be really helpful and could research further.

Also suggestions on a scenic route to take from Venice to Cortina would be appreciated as well.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cortina for one week in early Sept 2012

The drive from Venice to Cortina will only take ~ 2hrs

Forget Lake Como. It is going to take over 4hrs to get there.

There is Italy's largest Lake, Lake Garda between you and Como and even that is going to take you 2h30+ just to Riva del Garda in the North.

In the same time (2h30) you could drive to Zell am See in Austria

http://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en

and if you wanted to do it you could drive to zell am See over Heiligenblut and the famous Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse

http://www.grossglockner.at/en/

grossglockner.at/en/…

Not long out of Heiligenblut the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse goes off to the left all the way up to the Kaiser Franz-Joseph Hohe/Pasterzen glacier (2500m). It is a dead end so you have to come back and rejoin the normal mountain pass to Ferleiten/Bruck and Zell am See

The whole stretch is a Toll road but iti isn't cheap and is a day ticket rahter than oneway/return option

http://www.grossglockner.at/en/preise/

You can return over Mittersill/Matrei in Ost Tirol (this road is toll free)

Closer by options to Cortina is Lago di Alleghe which is only 40mins drive away.

YOu could drive to Campo Tures/Sands in Taufers and have a look at the waterfalls Reinbachfälle/Cascate di Riva (about 1hrs drive

Literally just before you reach Molini in Tures immediately branch off to the right towards Acereto/Molini Industrial estate "Gewerbezone". You will see a sign for "Winkel Cantuccio" - turn right and follow the Cantuccio road to the end. You will find a large parking place. Everybody parks here and walks to the waterfall.

Alternatively on the Via Acereto there is the Gasthof Toblhof. Shorter walk to the waterfalls but parking is for guests. You could have a bite to eat there.

Website says english but appears not to work

http://www.toblhof.it/

www.toblhof.it/deutsch/ueber-uns.php?cx=r

This gives a hiking description but is based on starting in Sands itself and not in the parking place or from the Toblhof (which is mentioned)

pustertal.org/en/…

This link just a general description

pustertal.org/en/…

Please note that this region has both Italian and German names so "Winkel" is "Cantuccio"

Campo Tures is "Sands in Taufers"

Generally in the Dolomites the border of dual names is roughly anything north of Cortina - Canazei - Bolzano - Bormio

Some places Between Bolzano and Trento close to the A22 have both German and Italian names -Bolzano also known as Bozen and Trento as Trient.

Even more confusing is that there is also a local dialect "Ladin" where some place names are again different

Having a car gives you many opportunities to drive mountain passes should you wish.

A bit different is to drive to Malga Ciapela then over the the Lago di Fedaia to Canazei and back to Cortina over Arabba and Pian Falzarego

Bressanone is a nice town (of about 20,000) and you can get there in little over an hour

Much depends on exactly what interests you.

Whakatane, New...
Level Contributor
540 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cortina for one week in early Sept 2012

Thank you Giftzwerg you have given me alot of great information to research and I hope other's reading this post also find this as helpful as I have.

Europe
Level Contributor
152 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cortina for one week in early Sept 2012

Don't forget about the Cortina county (provincia di Belluno).

Belluno is on the way from Venice to Cortina, I recommend it. A medieval-Venetian city really quite and clean. Feltre is 30 km away from Belluno, it is a medieval and really nice town too.

I'd suggest you the Tre Cime di Lavaredo, you can go by car paying 7 EUR of toll till the feet of this gorgeous mountain (18 km from Cortina).

If you want to have a scenic route to go till Cortina, from Belluno you can go to Longarone and then leave the main road (SS51) and go instead into la Val Zoldana through Forno di Zoldo e Zoldo Alto till Pescul and Selva. Then go to Cortina along SS638 (Passo Giau).

Or otherwise, from Belluno going through Agordo and Alleghe to Cortina.

Whakatane, New...
Level Contributor
540 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cortina for one week in early Sept 2012

Thank you everyone sadly we are not going to make it to Cortina this trip :c

5. Re: Cortina for one week in early Sept 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 15, 2013