We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Service

Clinton, Washington
Level Contributor
164 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Service

Is there bus service from San Cassiano (40 minutes north of Cortina d'Ampezzo) to Cortina and back?

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Service

omniged.com/public/ibus/news/orari_inverno_2…

This is the schedule of connection San Cassiano_Cortina_Venice.

Up on the right in this page there is a email address you can use for having information.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,547 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Service

When exactly??

The above is the cortina express www.cortinaexpress.it which is primarily a coach transfer service from Venice to the Dolomites.

If Winter

There is as such no public transport from Cortina "directly" to Corvara or Val Gardena area in Winter. All public transport from Cortina to the other parts of the Dolomites skiing goes via Dobbiaco. To San Cassiano you would have to get a bus to Dobbiaco, train to Brunico and another bus to La Villa/Corvara where you can link in to San Cassiano (skiing) or get the skibus from La Villa. It will take ~ 3hrs

There is also for instance no public transport between Corvara and Val Gardena in the Winter.

If Summer

There are buses that go round the passes

www.sii.bz.it for local transport

If you wanted alternative skiing you could go to Kronplatz.

kronplatz.com/smartedit/documents/download/p…

If you stay on the train from Dobbiaco and get off at Percha you can get easy access to the cable car

Clinton, Washington
Level Contributor
164 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Service

I will be in San Cassiano September 10-16, 2012. That is in the fall, but I only see summer and winter schedules. Does the winter schedule include fall?

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,547 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Service

Yes and no.

The Winter timetable normally runs from mid-October until June.

The Summer timetable June-October.

Thing is there are other bus services that only run in the "summer" and as these are designed to fit in with the main holiday season. September still classed as a part of the main holiday season but you will have to wait for new timetables.

As an example the 471 bus that goes around the passes in the Corvara/Val Gardena area only runs in the summer. In fact they have 2 timetables. The main summer one ends 10 September. The one below is the one valid from 11 September until 8 October.

valgardena.it/download/gardena/pdf/sad/2011/…

The more I think about it I don't think there is any link from Cortina directly to Corvara (or San Cassiano).

I would contact the tourist board directly in Alta Badia and enquire about summer timetables. I contacted them myself in english by email enquiring about winter timetables from Corvara and received a prompt reply in english.

http://www.altabadia.org/en-US/contact.html

Clinton, Washington
Level Contributor
164 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Service

Thank you.

There were so many suggestions on a base that I got confused: Val Gardena, Alta Badia, Arraba, La Villa, Cortina, etc. My first choice was Cortina, closer to the hikes we are interested that are near Passo Falzerago: Nuvolau, and Rif Lagazuoi.

Since reasonable accomodations were not available in Cortina, we found a place in San Cassiano. We plan to do sight seeing and a couple of overnight hut to hut. I am hoping that San Cassiano is a good base for this, that is why I ask about transportation.

Also, many suggestions were that public transportation was pretty good and we didn't need a car. So I am hoping also that there will be a bus that will take us to the different places in the area so we can see more after the hut to hut hikes.

But I shall contact the websites you provided and see what I come up with.

Thank you again.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,285 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Service

Public transportation schedules in the area are certainly not devised with a view to hikers' or climbers' requirements. Personally, the only time I visited the area without a car I regretted it. Note that I am a big fan of public transport, for various reasons, but a car up there is an absolute necessity if you focus on hiking/climbing.

7. Re: Bus Service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, December 05, 2012