We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

Which Civitavecchia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Ontario
4 posts
Save Topic
Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

I will be taking a Celebrity cruise on Aug 4th leaving from Civitavecchia. I plan to take the train from the Termini station in Rome because the taxi is relatively expensive.

My question is does anyone know if you have to switch train at Trastevere? I was told that you purchase a ticket to go from Rome to Trastevere and then you need to buy another ticket to go from Trastevere to Civitavecchia. If you need to embark and debark 2 times before you reach the port may be a taxi is not a bad idea.

Thanks in advance!

greenock scotland
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
371. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

You should be fine with one case each, the trains are pretty busy but most people did have luggage.nobody seemed to bother .

Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
372. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

No changes at Trastavere necessary. Buy the ticket online at trenitalia.com (click English, flag at top right), or you can buy the ticket at the Termini station by machine or live person. If you buy at Termini don't forget to VALIDATE (convalidare) your ticket or else you will pay a HEFTY fine when the conductor comes around. No need to validate the ticket when you pre-purchase at trenitalia.com.

There is one major problem, that I would like to ask if anybody has solved regarding exiting the station at Civitavecchia station. I have never seen any escalators or elevators there. There is a handicap chair lift on the side of the LONG stairway to rise up to the street level, however, there is no-one there to operate it. There appears to be lighted buttons controlling the lift, however, I was not sure if I could place my generally HEAVY cruise luggage on it where a wheel chair would go.

IF ANYBODY KNOWS ABOUT A WAY TO AVOID SCHLEPPING HEAVY BAGS UP TWO STORIES OF STEPS, please let me know.

After you exit the street level either roll your bags over somewhat uneven stress and sidewalks, or look for a little

mentally challenged guy name MARCO with a makeshift rolling, wheeled bag carrier. For 1 Euro he will walk FAST to the busses at the gate to the port.

Arnie

Edited: 9:21 am, March 17, 2014
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
373. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

No changes at Trastavere necessary. Buy the ticket online at www.trenitalia.com (click English, Union Jack flag at top right), or you can buy the ticket at the Termini station by machine or live person. If you buy at Termini don't forget to VALIDATE (convalidare) your ticket at the little bar code readers situated around the tracks or else you will pay a HEFTY fine when the conductor comes around. No need to validate the ticket when you pre-purchase at www.trenitalia.com. I bought the 1st class tickets which cost about 8 Euros each, and get you in the first two or three cars at the front of the train.

There is one major problem, that I would like to ask if anybody has solved regarding exiting the station at Civitavecchia station. I have never seen any escalators or elevators there. There is a handicap chair lift on the side of the LONG stairway to rise up to the street level, however, there is no-one there to operate it. There appears to be lighted buttons controlling the lift, however, I was not sure if I could place my generally HEAVY cruise luggage on it where a wheel chair would go.

IF ANYBODY KNOWS ABOUT A WAY TO AVOID SCHLEPPING HEAVY BAGS UP TWO STORIES OF STEPS, please let me know.

After you exit the street level, turn LEFT and either roll your bags over somewhat uneven streets and sidewalks, or look for a skinny, mentally challenged guy name MARCO with a makeshift rolling, wheeled bag carrier. For 1 Euro he will walk FAST to the busses at the gate to the port.

Arnie

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
374. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

Really good info in this post about Marco. And I hope someone answers the question about the chair lift or some other way to get to the street without all those stairs. We had a large and a small suitcase each and as a senior female I could just not do it. My husband had to set his luggage at the top, hope no one took off with it and then come and help me.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
375. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

I would say that if you have a lot of luggage, you should spring for a taxi. It would cost about €120, but it's part of the cost of carrying large suitcases for a cruise. €60 apiece is not a great amount in the context of the total cost of your trip.

I would only advise using the train if you can manage to pack light. My sister and brother-in-law have been doing transatlantic cruises for several years now, and they always manage (after the first trip) with one medium-sized suitcase apiece and a large purse for her or small backpack for him. The first time they did it they overpacked, and then traveled by train all over Europe. By the time they got to my house, they had an entirely new concept of how they needed to dress for the captain's dinner! They left a good 20% of their stuff here, including a garment bag and a large cloth bag. Our local Caritas was grateful.

Australia
Level Contributor
421 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
376. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

I registered on smart cruise tours to be informed when notice about whether the fast track train will be running or not. So far their website says the train company haven't advised them if it will be running or not.

Does anyone know when them train company release their schedules. I would have thought the schedule would be up by now.

We are booked into the scavi tour for 11am on Saturday 20th June so we still have time yet but I wonder if anyone knows when the information goes online.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,251 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
377. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

It is impossible to say when Trenitalia will publish the times of its InterCity and Regionale trains, as it varies from year to year. Quite possibly, they will not be online until mid-May or even later.

Even if a fast train is not running, there will be many local trains between Civitavecchia and Rome. On the present timetable, there are 12 trains from Civitavecchia on weekday mornings that would get you to San Pietro station before 10.30.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
378. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

I think Scotty is referring to the special express train run by the cruise lines.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,251 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
379. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

Agreed, but I was pointing out that there are plenty of other trains that could be used.

I suspect that Trenitalia will not make a decision about this special train until it has settled the times for its own trains, as until then it cannot know whether any suitable train paths will be available.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
380. Re: Taking the train from Rome to Civitavecchia

It probably also depends on how many passengers the cruise lines think they can sign up.

The Freccebianca trains for the route are already published, but none gets there in time for an 11 AM tour at the Vatican.

If there's a small difference in arrival times, I would prefer to get the slower regional train, which is the only one that stops at San Pietro, a short distance from Saint Peter's Basilica. The Freccebianca and the InterCity stop only at Termini station, so you'd have to take a metro or taxi from there to the basilica, adding maybe 20-30 minutes to the trip.

San Pietro station is the end of the line for the number 64 bus, which should be waiting in front of the station when you arrive. This will take you to the basilica in about 5 minutes. You could also walk there in about 10 minutes.

If you think you'll use public transportation in Rome, and if you take the regular regional train, you should buy a BIRG pass at the station (maybe at the newsstand). This will cover your round trip to Rome *on the slower regional trains only* and also all public transportation you may use in Rome during the day.

Get answers to your questions about Civitavecchia