We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence to Civitavecchia by train

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Florence to Civitavecchia by train

Am planning to leave Florence on Wed 12/12 to Rome and then to Civitavecchia to board the Norweigian Jade which leaves at 5pm. I plan to be at ship by 2.30pm latest.

1. What is latest i should leave Florence?

2. Should i allow time to catch connecting train to Civitavecchia, and how long should i allow to find platforms etc

3. When i arrive at Civitavecchia, how far is the ship generally from train station, ie how much time should i allow?

Would appreciate advise from anyone who's done this

United States
Level Contributor
9,626 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florence to Civitavecchia by train

With one exception through Pisa, most of the trains route you through Rome and take anywhere from 2h24m to 3h32 min. You have at least 20 minutes of connection time in Rome which is plenty to find your next platform. I believe the train station is about 15-20 minute walk to the ship docks and there are some shuttles which will take you to your particular ship.

The 11:39 train from Firenze SMN will get you to the Civitavecchia train station at 2:07 which would out you at right about 2:30. There's one earlier but slower which will get you there at 2 pm to give yourself a bit of a cushion.

The schedules for December may still be loading but they shouldn't change much.

You might want to check with crusecritic.com for info for your cruise particulars.

The Top questions section has this info about the shuttles:

<<Also note for cruise passengers, you can pick up shuttle provided by cruise from ship to gate (a long walk otherwise) and walk the remaining 4 to 5 blocks. You can also buy round trip tickets from vendors along the entrance to Fort (gateway to cruise terminal), and not just at the train station.>>

TAB

Edited: 11:05 am, October 15, 2012
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florence to Civitavecchia by train

The regional trains to Civitavecchia leave from a satellite track that's a good ten-minute walk from the main part of the station. I would probably want a bit more than 20 minutes for the connection in Rome. Howevver, the trains run frequently.

You can see timetables here:

http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

The winter timetables for the regional trains haven't been posted yet. I would use a date within the next week to see all information, including regional train fares, which are shown only 7 days in advance.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Florence to Civitavecchia by train

Thank you v much!!

Am i right in interpreting from trenitalia that it takes 1:27 hrs to reach Rome, then allow say 30mins (as tugging a suitcase) to find train platform to catch train to Civitavecchia, say another 30mins for regional train to Civitavecchia. then buy round trip tickets from vendors along entrance to Fort

(1. are they close to train station?), finally walk another 4 blocks to ship?

2. if i take the 11.04, should allow me ample time?

3. shall i buy the regional tickets ahead or when in Rome?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,231 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Florence to Civitavecchia by train

Buy train tickets from Florence to Rome now.

Buy Rome to Civitavecchia tickets for a Regional train in Florence from any ticket machine (or the booking office). This ticket will be OK for any of the half-hourly Regional trains, you just need to validate (time and date-stamp) it in Rome before boarding the train. The ticket cannot be used on trains with reserved seats (on the current timetable there is only one of these you might consider, at 12.10).

Regional trains take an hour or more from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia - see the link to http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html recommended in reply 2.

You should take the 10.04 not the 11.04 train from Florence to be at the ship by 14.30. On current timetables (which might remain the same) you would only have 12 minutes in Roma Termini off the 11.04 to make the 12.42 departure which gets you to Civitavecchia at 1400, and the train after that arrives at 14.22.

The <buy round trip tickets from vendors along entrance to Fort> is a red herring - this is for people going to Civitavecchia station from the port.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Florence to Civitavecchia by train

So i take the 10.04 train from Florence, arrive at 11.31 in Rome, catch the 12.42 from Termini and arrive at Civitavecchia at 1400?

Have been told by a tripadvisor respondant to walk about 20mins to Port and catch free shuttle to ship.

Any suggestion re what to do if there is a train strike btw Florence and Rome besides taking a taxi? Any idea how much taxi ride would cost?

Edited: 6:18 am, October 17, 2012
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florence to Civitavecchia by train

There's no word of a train strike on that that day, and it's almost unheard of that there would be a strike in the middle of the week. Strikes are almost always on a Friday or a Monday, and occasionally on a Saturday or Sunday.

You can see a strike schedule here:

http://www.mit.gov.it/mit/site.php?p=scioperi

You can past this URL into translate.google.com to get a decent translation.

There's nothing shown (yet) for December. I would check in about a month, by which time strikes for early December should already be announced. Strikes are often called off, so check again just before your date of travel.

If there is a Trenitalia strike, it may not affect the Italo trains, which also run from Santa Maria Novella station in Florence. Italo has a 9:23 train that arrives in Ostiense station at 11:07. (They seem not to have their winter schedules up yet, but I assume they won't change much.) The same train for Civitavecchia that leaves Rome Termini at 11:41 leaves Ostiense station at 11:52.

In general, though, if there should be a strike, some trains are always guaranteed to run. You have to first make a note of the train numbers that would get you there in time,perhaps starting very early in the morning, using the normal schedule. Then check the train numbers of the fast trains (everything except regional) on this list:

trenitalia.com/cms-file/allegati/trenitalia/…

(The departure station won't be Florence, but where the train originates, and the departure time will be the time the train leaves the original station.)

Then check the regional trains on this schedule, which is divided into routes, and listed by time of departure and train number.

trenitalia.com/cms-file/…Toscana.pdf

As I said, it's very unlikely there would be a strike on that day, but the information may be useful to others who are worried about strikes.

Edited: 7:56 am, October 17, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Florence to Civitavecchia by train

'bvlenci'..... thank you for all that info. A posting from another of my inquiries has suggested i take an earlier train to allow for any delays or boarding.

So now aiming to take the 9.04 am train from Florence.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Florence to Civitavecchia by train

Have been told that i can get a normal train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia which takes about 40mins (cost 9euros) and not the regional train which takes about 78mins.

Been there is a normal train from Rome to Civi ...eg a 12:10pm train that takes 41mins. Can anyone confirm whether this is possible?

United States
Level Contributor
9,626 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Florence to Civitavecchia by train

Have you looked up the schedule yourself? The link has been given to you in posts #2 and #4.

Yes, there is a train at 12:10 from Termini to Civitavecchia that takes 41 minutes and costs €9.

TAB

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Florence to Civitavecchia by train

Yes have tried trenitalia links suggested in (2) and (4) and combinations of Flo-Rome, Flo- Civi, Ro-Civi, but keep getting no solutions found.

What did you click on website?