We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia

VA
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Booking Train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia

Hello- I am in need of information/feedback in regards to the train service to/from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia. I am attempted to book via Trenitalia's website and it is a bit complicated... Not sure how far in advance I can book train tickets? My cruise is July 13th-20th...and based on the message board I am going to try the trains for transfer to and from. Please help...

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia

The trenitalia website often has glitches so not to worry...no need to pre-book the train from Termini to Civitavecchia...easy to purchase the tickets before traveling when you arrive in Rome. Will you be in Rome ahead of time or arrive on the same day as you need to take the trains?

VA
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia

Thank you Beach Sp... I will be in Rome ahead of time spending 2 days seeing the sights. I would ideally like to stay (hotel) in a central area that is easy access to sights, as well as, easy access to the Roma Termini for our Sunday-July 13th cruise departure. Any suggestions for a lovely, curteous hotel around $200? I must say the entire process of planning and mapping out this trip has been overwhelming. Do you recommend hiring a tour guide company for 1st timer tours? A last question-are taxi's readily available at the Roma Termini if we take the Leonardo Express train from the airport or should we just arrange to get a taxi at the airport for direct drop off at our hotel? Excuse the length ;)

canada
Level Contributor
8,261 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia

This is a regional train route, you cannot book ahead.

As to the best form of transport from FCO to hotel, it depends on the amount of your luggage. It takes 5 minutes walk without luggage from the Leonardo Exp platform to the front of the station, and then a few more min on rough surface to the top of taxi rank. There will be a lot of taxi and a lot of people trying to help you onto one (for a fee/tips), and then most likely as a first timer, get to your hotel via the "scenic route."

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia

GreeceCruise....a central hotel could be one located on Via Nazionale like Artemide Hotel or Eurostars International. As you can imagine there are many to choose from & depends on the location. For example there are ones closesr to Pantheon, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona as examples. Have a look at the two and if you want more suggestions let me know. If you want to visit the main attractions of the city I wouldn't say a tour guide is necessary, there are many good independant options. Such as the Tram Open Bus which could take up a whole day hop on/hop off main attractions and also have the option to stay on and go around until 2000 at night. Here is the link to have a look

http://www.trambusopen.com/index.cfm?id=home

also the Roma Pass

http://www.romapass.it/english/index.html

Outside of Termini station (take exit to Piazza dei Cinquecento clearly marked in the station) and you will find taxis there at all hours, no problem to find one. I would say depending on where you end up booking a hotel to deciding how to arrive, for example if you book the ones on Via Nazionale it will be only a few euros to arrive to the hotel, if you were to book a hotel further away it will then cost more & may be worthwhile taking the one taxi from the airport direct (thanks to fixed prices).

Hope this helps

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia

bofoster...more than the regional trains use that route so on the trenitalia website there is the otpion to book the non regional train for example.

VA
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia

Thank you kindly... Will let you know and update you as I look into these options.

Long Beach...
Destination Expert
for Long Beach
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking Train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia

Try Bellesuite Hotel. Close to Termini Railroad station by Piazza Republica. Gets good reviews on TA. Just looked at venere.com and it appears a room for two is available for 109 euros per night.

Hamden, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking Train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia

Greek Cruise....I also am doing the same thing later this year. I booked the Hotel Kennedy direct with the hiotel and got a rate of 85 euros per night. Looks like a good rate and location. Stayed in this area on three other occasions and like it. Nice leisurely walks to the Colesseum, and even the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, and Pantheon (which are longer but not too bad). Have a great cruise!

VA
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking Train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia

Thanks so much for the suggestions...will def try them out!

cheers!

Hamden, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking Train from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia

Check out the Hotel Kennedy....www.hotelkennedy.net.

Staying there myself and got a great rate. Good reviews too on Trip Advisor.

Get answers to your questions about Civitavecchia