We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Civvitavecchia Port to train station with bags

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
139 posts
46 reviews
Trip Report: Civvitavecchia Port to train station with bags

This is my experience on how to get to Civitavecchia train station arriving from a cruise and carrying bags by your own.

(In case you you are considering to book a transfer directly from the ship you don't need to read this. Your transfer will stop along the ship at the terminal)

We arrived at CV cruise port on last Aug 10.

Ships may dock in any of several terminals. The cruise line don't previously knows which. In our case it was the furthest one.

As is not allowed to passengers to walk along the port, Celebrity provided us free shuttle buses from the ship to a small square just after the port exit.

The ways we figured out to proceed to CV train station (only one exists) are:

1 - Celebrity offered a shared transfer by van. Cost USD 25 per person. (we considered it too expensive).

2 - Taxi - there are taxis available there and the cost is around 15 to 20 Euros.

3 - Walk by yourself - some TA reviews say it is doable. But DON'T do that. Even though the distance to the station is just 1 Km, the path is terrible to be done with bags, Full of cracks, street crossings and blocked pathways by restaurant's tables and chairs.

4 - The last thing is one that nobody tells you and in my opinion is the best one.

Just take the public bus "Linea Speciale - Terminal Crociere - Stazione". Only 2 Euros per person.

It departs exactly from the ship's shuttle drop off point (impossible not to see it). Runs every 10 min. in a 5 to 8 minutes ride. Stops inside the station. Plenty of space for lugagge..

Our time line on disembarkation day was:

At 7:00AM entered the long disembarkation line inside the ship, claimed our bags, boarded the shuttle, got to the bus stop, took the bus. We arrived at the station at 8:20AM. Our train was booked for 9:16AM to Roma Termini.

So it worked perfectly.

Hope it helps.

FS

5 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
193 posts
99 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report: Civvitavecchia Port to train station with bags

We have walked three times to and from the train to port pickup and it has been fine, no problem at all. But, everyone is different. I am glad it worked for you and you made your train.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
139 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report: Civvitavecchia Port to train station with bags

Your are right. I should have made more clear that it depends on the number of bags you carry

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,260 posts
172 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report: Civvitavecchia Port to train station with bags

This is a great report. I think the shuttle from the ship is run by the port and not the cruise company. This would be great to post on cruise critic. Go here and sign up. Use your same name for convenience.

https:/…

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
139 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report: Civvitavecchia Port to train station with bags

Thank you. I’ll do it

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9,540 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report: Civvitavecchia Port to train station with bags

I am not a cruiser, but I found this very useful as I expect there are plenty of people lacking basic knowledge about what to expect once their ship docks and how much time to allow to get a train. I agree it should be posted on a cruise forum or forums.

Reply to: Trip Report: Civvitavecchia Port to train station with bags
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Civitavecchia