We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phone store to purchase sim card?

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
447 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
Phone store to purchase sim card?

We will be staying nearby for a few days and then leaving on a cruise from this port, but I wanted to purchase a sim card for my unlocked phone so I can access trip info like maps, directions, restaurants, etc. Maybe a few local calls. We have done this previously in the FCO airport, but do not want to spend too much time waiting there which was our experience before. Are there phone stores in Civitavecchia that we can go to to purchase a sim card and has anyone done this for multiple country access? Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,468 posts
173 reviews
77 helpful votes
1. Re: Phone store to purchase sim card?

https://bit.ly/2KdMTuh

You can google to see if there is a Vodaphone branch.

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
447 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Phone store to purchase sim card?

Has anyone purchased a sim card here before a cruise? Wondering how much English they might speak.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Phone store to purchase sim card?

Hi Sparks we are sailing in August and thinking the same we dont want to buy at airport and hang around till it is activated.

Just wondering if you found somewhere close buy and was it any good.

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Phone store to purchase sim card?

Hi all. We are cruising from August and staying at Hotel Traghetto the day before and wondering the closest and best way to buy sim.

TIA

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
447 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Phone store to purchase sim card?

I do not go on the cruise until the end of September, so can not tell you about my experience, but I will report back later. I did some research and found there are multiple phone stores in town. I also do not want the hassle of going to the phone store in the airport since we will also be walking to the car rental and if I remember right, it was a long walk and a wait at the phone store. Here is where we have decided o get our sim car because they get good reviews on Yelp:

3Store

16 Facebook reviews

PIAZZA LUIGI CALAMATTA 14, Civitavecchia · 0766 671098

Open until 7:30 PM

London
Level Contributor
3,523 posts
155 reviews
63 helpful votes
6. Re: Phone store to purchase sim card?

Just to clarify... you do not need a sim card to be able to use google maps. Just download the relevant map to your phone before you leave home. GPS will work whether you have a working sim or not.

I'm not a cruise expert, but if you did have an Italian Sim it is unlikely to work once you've left port. I am assuming that a decent cruise boat has a Wifi that you could use to make VOIP calls using Whatsap, Skype or similar.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
17 posts
33 reviews
23 helpful votes
7. Re: Phone store to purchase sim card?

Finding a SIM card in Italy can be difficult. I bought the Orange SIM card from Amazon ahead of time. Worked great for $50 and 10GB data.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
17 posts
33 reviews
23 helpful votes
8. Re: Phone store to purchase sim card?

Wifi on a Cruise ship is slow and unreliable. everybody shares a small amount of satellite bandwidth. whatsapp works for text, but phone calls are a crapshoot. Using GPS without a SIM card does not always work as advertised and downloading maps assumes you know in advance exactly where you need go and wont get lost. SIM card is the safe way to go. .

Edited: 10:28 am, August 30, 2018
Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
447 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
9. Re: Phone store to purchase sim card?

I have purchased sim cards in many different countries and I do know it will not work on the ship. I like to use it to find restaurants close to where we are at the time, directions, translations, etc. Having a sim card and being able to access information is important to us. Will not be using it for calls, only texts.

Reply to: Phone store to purchase sim card?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Civitavecchia