We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to Chiusi from Rome or take the train? Take the train!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
239 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to Chiusi from Rome or take the train? Take the train!

We arrived in Rome on an overnight flight from the US with two other couples. We had to get to our villa just outside Chiusi. Both other couples went through autoEurope and rented cars at the airport. They got no instructions in how to operate the cars (like you lift UP to shift into reverse, unlike pressing down at home) and they both followed the driving instructions carefully (as carefully as you can when you are exhausted ) but they both missed the turn for the A1 and got lost.

We took the Leonardo Express into Rome, went to a cafe across the street for an espresso, walked down the street to visit the church St Maria Maggiore, had lunch at another cafe, and walked back to Termini for our train to Chiusi. We napped for an hour on the train, arrived Chiusi, then walked across the street to Asserent, where we had rented a car. Sarah gave us complete instructions in how to operate the car, told us we could park for free in their lot anytime we came back into Chiusi, and we arrived at our villa ready for the evening!

On the day we checked out of the villa, we returned the car to Asserent and got on the train to Rome, while our friends had to drive their cars back to the airport. They wished they had followed our plan instead.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive to Chiusi from Rome or take the train? Take the train!

>>like you lift UP to shift into reverse, unlike pressing down at home<<

The method of getting into reverse is different in each brand of car, and sometimes even between different models of the same brand. You just have to figure it out.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
7,315 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive to Chiusi from Rome or take the train? Take the train!

Sara rents out far, far fewer cars per hour than the major hire car companies at FCO who wouldn't have enough staff to be able to show every hirer the finer points of the vehicle they were going to drive unless they actually asked. (And when I hire a car around a world I often ask if it's a car I'm not familiar with.) I can relate to your point about being able to nap on the train after a longhaul flight for it often crosses my mind that visitors must be tired when they land and negotiating the GRA when you're tired cannot be easy (tip for the A1 exit: it's junction 10 but 8, 9, 10 come up together so get in the far right (slow) lane as soon as you pass junction 7 and stay there). However, what did you do with your bags whilst you went over to S Maria Maggiore?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
239 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive to Chiusi from Rome or take the train? Take the train!

We each had one rolling carry on bag and took them with us because we were afraid to leave them at "left luggage" at Termini. We had been warned about the potential for a huge line when we returned and wanted to catch our train without any problems.

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive to Chiusi from Rome or take the train? Take the train!

We're looking to do the somewhat the same thing in October. Overnight flight into Rome, fast train to Florence for a few days, train to Siena for a few days, train to Chiusi where we want to pick up a rental car for a week at an apartment nearby. Return car, then train from Chiusi back to Rome.

Question. I don't see "Asserent" when I google that word. Is that a car rental company?

Also, what airline did you fly from US?

Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,282 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive to Chiusi from Rome or take the train? Take the train!

I can't see the point of taking a train from Siena to Chiusi to pick up a car. Why not pick up in Siena, and avoid the hassle of getting on and off trains?

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive to Chiusi from Rome or take the train? Take the train!

Aesserent are a local car rental company in Chiusi, I have only ever heard good things about their service. Website is here:

http://www.aesserent.it/

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
239 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive to Chiusi from Rome or take the train? Take the train!

We flew on United, and arrived at 6:30 am.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive to Chiusi from Rome or take the train? Take the train!

Ryanair air is only $61 for mid-November 2011. That price will probably not last.

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive to Chiusi from Rome or take the train? Take the train!

Personally, I would not rent a car in a foreign country after a long overnight flight without any sleep, where there is reasonably suitable public transportation available. Rome to Chiusi is a good example where public transportation works well.

Posting #4: between Florence and Siena, take the express bus and not the train! The bus leaves from the SITA station adjacent to the SMN train station in Florence, and drops you in central Siena, rather than down the hill at the inconvenient train station. From Siena to Chiusi, there is also a bus service which supplements the train.

10. Re: Drive to Chiusi from Rome or take the train? Take the train!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 21, 2012