We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best mountain road to travel from Cefalu to Taormina.

Rescue, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
185 reviews
89 helpful votes
Best mountain road to travel from Cefalu to Taormina.

Ciao fellow travelers,

My wife and I need a little help in planning our trip from Cefalu to Taormina. We will be driving and we don't mind if the trip takes a little longer if we drive through the country. I'm sure the drive is beautiful and there would be more to see driving the country roads rather that the Auto strata around Messina. We have a Michelin road map and can see several back roads to travel to Taormina, but

we could use some help in deciding the best road so that we can enjoy more of Sicily.

Ciao, Louie & Vera.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
121,510 posts
1. Re: Best mountain road to travel from Cefalu to Taormina.

Ciao Louie and Vera!

Drive autostrada (A20) from Cefalù to Brolo, and then drive the highlands from Sinagra to Ucria and Florestra, and onward to Randazzo. If you have time, also drive to Maniace and Bronte’s Nelson, and Bronte, but from Randazzo drive via Linguaglossa and Piedimonte Etneo to Taormina.

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
121,510 posts
2. Re: Best mountain road to travel from Cefalu to Taormina.

The SS120 is scenic, but slow driving – You might also drive the SS286 from Cefalù via Castelbuono to Gangi, and then take the SS120 the entire way.

Vagabonda

Germany
Level Contributor
157 posts
65 reviews
120 helpful votes
3. Re: Best mountain road to travel from Cefalu to Taormina.

I once drove from Tindari to Randazzo, taking the small road passing Montalbane Elicona.

Nice drive and great views - unless you are passed by some large truck!

Take the secondary roads from Randazzo to Linguaglossa and see some old lava-fields and a beautiful landscape.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
121,510 posts
4. Re: Best mountain road to travel from Cefalu to Taormina.

If driving the highlands from the coast, you'll enjoy nice views - Look back to the coast and see the Aeolians!

Vagabonda

Rescue, California
Level Contributor
13 posts
185 reviews
89 helpful votes
5. Re: Best mountain road to travel from Cefalu to Taormina.

Gracie Vagabonda, for your great info. Do you have a idea of travel time to Taormina from Cefalu using SS286 and SS120? Ciao Louie & Vera.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
121,510 posts
6. Re: Best mountain road to travel from Cefalu to Taormina.

Prego Louie and Vera - Not a surprise that you prefer the route through the Madonie!

Here’s the view of Gangi you would see on the approach - www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo300320.htm

tripadvisor.com/…35017701

Depending on stops, perhaps it would take just over an hour from Cefalù to Gangi – Castelbuono is worth a stop. Shops throughout town sell products with manna.

http://www.bestofsicily.com/mag/art236.htm

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3087…

Then estimate at least 3 hours for the drive from Gangi to Taormina via Nicosia, Cesarò, Randazzo....

Best regards,

Vagabonda

7. Re: Best mountain road to travel from Cefalu to Taormina.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cefalu