We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long does it take to drive to Taormina?

Which Cefalu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey
Level Contributor
108 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
How long does it take to drive to Taormina?

I am planning a two-centre holiday in Siciliy in June. I am not sure about the journey between Taormina and Cefalu. Any help would be much appreciated.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,101 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How long does it take to drive to Taormina?

Welcome to Sicily Joinedupwhiting!

There are two acceptable routes from Taormina to Cefalù, the coastal A20 autostrada (02h25), and the interior autotrada route, the A19 to Catania and then the A18 onward to Taormina (02h41).

Note that at times there are issues with tunnel closures along the A20 route, sometimes resulting in time-consuming detours through the hills.

Check driving routes and estimated driving times and distances on ViaMichelin.

http://www.viamichelin.com/

Vagabonda

Surrey
Level Contributor
108 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long does it take to drive to Taormina?

Hello Vagabonda - thank you so much for the information and the useful website. I am trying to decide whether we should hire a car or not. It seems we probably wouldn't need one in Taormina, but if we stay there a week, I think we would miss out on some of the nearby sites. I have wanted to visit Sicily for a long time, so I am really looking forward to this trip. So many places, so little time!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,101 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How long does it take to drive to Taormina?

Prego joinedupwhiting!

You wouldn’t require a car in Taormina or Cefalù, but especially not in Taormina.

There are many tours, group bus excursions, and transport options especially from Taormina, but also from Cefalù as well.

The car hire would depend on your intended day excursions – If you’d like to explore the Madonie, you would appreciate the car, and you would also enjoy greater flexibility with a car since excursions don’t run every day of the week.

Consider your dates and your intended day trips to determine if you could accomplish your goals without a car.

Kind regards,

Vagabonda

Surrey
Level Contributor
108 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long does it take to drive to Taormina?

Thank you once again. Will do more investigation.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,101 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How long does it take to drive to Taormina?

Prego joinedupwhiting,

Also where will you arrive and depart Sicily??

Vagabonda

Surrey
Level Contributor
108 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long does it take to drive to Taormina?

It depends which way around we do the trip really. And, of course, cost of air tickets. Do you think there is a better choice of airport for us?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,101 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How long does it take to drive to Taormina?

It would also depend on arrival and departure times - thinksicily.com/travel-to-and-around-sicily/…

It's more difficult to arrive in Cefalù, and a late arrival would require a car hire, transfer, or first night in Palermo.

Transport (public transport or transfers) are more frequent and convenient between Catania's airport and Taormina.

Vagabonda

Edited: 6:08 am, January 07, 2013
Devon, England
Level Contributor
23 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long does it take to drive to Taormina?

Vagabonda - I have a few questions that I could do with answering. Can I PM as you seem to be very helpful.knowledgeable? Thanks.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
97,101 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How long does it take to drive to Taormina?

Welcome to Sicily Scotte84!

These forums are for asking and answering questions. Questions and responses posted on the forums benefit all travellers, and everyone is then able to participate. I would be happy to respond to your questions on the forums.

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

Surrey
Level Contributor
108 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How long does it take to drive to Taormina?

Mille grazie. That helps a lot.