We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grain silo in middle of town?

Edinburgh
1 post
Save Topic
Grain silo in middle of town?

Hi,

Please could someone help - I've just read a news feature about the modern grain silo (abandoned for a decade) 'dominating the historic centre of Castellina in Chianti' and seen a picture which made my heart literally sink, as we only yesterday booked the town hall for our wedding in September. I thought we'd found out everything about this town, that it was fairly sleepy, small village - noone seems to mention this silo which in the photo is pretty evident. Please could anyone who's been to this town tell me what it's like, whether it really is dominated by what looks like a complete eyesore and also hether the place is really tacky and touristy? I'm so worried now. Any help much appreciated. Many thanks!

1. Re: Grain silo in middle of town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:39 am, July 01, 2006
Hong Kong
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grain silo in middle of town?

You don't need to worry about Castellina. It is a delightful little mediaeval town, which I think would be a lovely place for a wedding. It is true that there is a silo (actually an animal feed factory) on the edge of town, which does look a bit out of place as you approach Castellina from Colle Val d'Elsa - it looks a bit like Battersea Powerstation. However, because Castellina is perched on top of quite a steep ridge, it is not visible at all from inside the town. Actually it is not abandoned; it is a working factory. Castellina, like a lot of the Chianti towns, suffered very greatly after the War, when there was a complete economic collapse. The factory was the town's lifeline during those years. Inside its walls, Castellina is dominated by its mediaeval castle, called the Rocca.

Is it "really tacky and touristy"? Certainly tourism plays a big part in the local economy during the summer months, and in September you will not be the only foreigners in town. But it is fairly up-market tourism, drawn to Chianti by the fine wine and beautiful countryside. So somewhat touristy, but definitely not tacky.

Townshend, Vermont
Level Contributor
470 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grain silo in middle of town?

We were in Castellina in May and never noticed a silo. Castellina was one of our favorite towns in Tuscany and I think you have picked a perfect place for your wedding! It is small and the people there were warm and welcoming.

Congratulations,

Travelpatty

Mentioned in this post
minnesota
Level Contributor
280 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grain silo in middle of town?

I was there in June and it was one of my favorite towns. I liked it much better than San Gimi... The main street within the walls has some really nice upscale shops (for tourists) but also shops that the locals use like great grocery and fruit market. I think it would be lovely for your wedding. Did not go into the church but it is about in the center along the main street. Outside the wall at one end of town by the parking lot is a great little park and a spectacular view of the valley. It would be a great place for wedding pictures.The Chianti region is a beautiful area of Tuscany you and all your guest willl love it.

Mentioned in this post
West Yorks
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grain silo in middle of town?

Hi

I am also considering getting married in Rocca di Castellina. I hope your wedding was beautiful. can you please tell me what you thought to the venue?

Kindest rgds

6. Re: Grain silo in middle of town?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:03 am, February 16, 2007
West Yorks
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Grain silo in middle of town?

Hi. thank you for your response. Do you happen to know how long a drive is it from greve to castellina?

Cheers

Hayley

L.A.CA.USA
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grain silo in middle of town?

Use Mapquest and go to directions and type in Greve Italy to Castelinna in Chianti and it will give you the time it takes, distance and directions. I've done many "town to town" print out's for our upcomining trip. Very helpful. Off the cuff I think it's about 20 - no more than 30 minutes between the 2 towns.

Rochester, New York
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Grain silo in middle of town?

Didn't you research this month's ago? I thought I read something from someone asking the same question relating to their September wedding. I was in Castellina frequently last fall, and yes, it is in the center of town, but it is not an eyesore by any means. I'm not sure what you are planning, but the "center" of town looks exactly like any center of town. I say that because it seems like you think the center of town is going to give you the beautiful Tuscan vistas of the area, but that won't be the case. If that's what you are looking for, then you'll have to move to the outskirts of the town.

Relax. This is a beautiful area and as far as I'm concerned, ANY center of town in Italy, old grain silo or not, outweighs anything you'll find in the US.

10. Re: Grain silo in middle of town?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, August 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Castellina In Chianti