We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in May

Glastonbury CT, USA
Level Contributor
8 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in May

My wife and I are visiting Castellina in Chianti in May, we will have a car and I'm looking for ideas.

San Gimignano and Siena, are likely on the tour and we've been to Florence so that's off.

Any thoughts on day trips? We love old towns and blending in at cafe's etc with the locals. Sitting at the pool is not our game.

Thanks

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,611 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in May

Gosh, you are right in the middle of some of the most gorgeous countryside in Tuscany, explore that area! Greve, Montefioralle and Panzano in one direction, Radda and Gaiole in the other are some of the most well-known towns and villages in your area, but there are others, just head off and explore!

Colle di Val d'Elsa and Monteriggione are also worth visiting. You can also take the train from Poggibonsi to Florence in around an hour.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
989 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in May

Peggypatch is right - you'll be right in the middle of it!

If you want to stay close to home, you have so much right in the neighborhood: Badia di Passignano, Badia di Coltibuono, Volpaia, Castello di Brolio, San Donato, San Gimignano, Certaldo Alto...

If you feel like going further afield, to the south you have Siena, Buonconvento, Montalcino, San Quirico d'Orcia, Pienza, Montepulciano. Do not miss the exquisite abbey of Sant'Antimo near Montalcino!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in May

San Polo in Chianti, a bit north of Greve, is known for its cultivation of Iris, with an Iris festival the third week of May. We will be there too early for the festival, but plan to drive the area looking for fields of blue/violet.

Glastonbury CT, USA
Level Contributor
8 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in May

Thanks everyone

Castellina In...
Level Contributor
102 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in May

Hi Brian

There's a decent calerdar of events here:

frommers.com/destinations/…0247028791.html

And you can find more calendars and lists at the bottom of this page:

http://www.patrignone.com/4/your_visit.html

I am trying to find out when the Castellina wine festival is on so I'll let you know when I know.

But don't worry: you can be as busy or as relaxed as you want to be!

Castellina in...
Level Contributor
3,318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in May

Here's a map with links to the area around you: http://www.chianti.info/map_of_chianti.htm

Castles itineraries for the same area: greve-in-chianti.com/castelli-del-chianti/ca…

And here's a festivals calendar: http://www.festivals-of-tuscany.com/

Glastonbury CT, USA
Level Contributor
8 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in May

Thanks for all of your recommendations they helped to make this a dream vacation!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
403 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in May

I highly recommend a cooking class at Tenuta Casanova: www.tenutacasanova.it I just got back from spending May in Tuscany and this was one of the highlights of my trip. Silvano & Rita have an incredible organic farm - wine (great Super Tuscan), olive oil, honey, balsamic's and more. We not only partook in the cooking course but also it included a tour of the vineyard, wine tasting, learning about olive oil and balsamic's along with tastings. It was about a 5 hours. I am going back in October and plan to take my family this time. You will not be sorry. After cooking and touring you sit down and eat the wonderful meal you just prepared and drink many of their wines. It is a "must do".

Edited: 2:20 pm, June 12, 2011
9. Re: What to do in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, October 11, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Castellina In Chianti