We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is Caserta not on the itineraries?

California
Level Contributor
51 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Why is Caserta not on the itineraries?

Caserta looks marvelous. It also looks difficult to get to. Why does Rick Steves not mention it in his Italy guidebook? Why is it not on the typical itinerary? Should I make an effort to go?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,828 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is Caserta not on the itineraries?

Depends where you are going from, , there are organised tours from many places, we went from Sorrento, personally I was a little disapointed, I thought the Palace a little jaded, the grounds are lovely, but I suppose with so many wonderful stately homes here in the UK we are spoiled for choice,

canada
Level Contributor
7,844 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is Caserta not on the itineraries?

The unfortunate thing about the palace there is that only the shell remains, the furniture and furnishings are gone. The garden is definitely worth a stroll. --- Camera time.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is Caserta not on the itineraries?

Caserta is marvellous - the enormous palace with Royal apartments that are still furnished and decorated unlike so many here, the formal gardens set around the long series of water cascades and fountains and the English garden, hidden away to one side of the site.

As far as I know, there's nothing like it anywhere south of Rome - an Italian Versailles that's been in Star Wars!

But it doesn't stop there. The old hilltop town of Caserta Vecchia - from where the population were shifted to build and run the palace is worth a look, as is the model town built around the royal silk factory at San Leucio.

If you'd been here this summer you could have taken the new Open-Top bus service which loops between the sites (PDF of their leaflet: …city-sightseeing.it/depliant_caserta.pdf ). As far as I know they've not yet said if or when it will run next year, but quite possibly it will have finished by October.

Getting to the palace is actually very easy as it's only a short walk from the railway station, which has frequent connections to Naples.

Why isn't in the guidebook? Well, I'd guess the author concerned may know his readers sufficiently well to be aware they've enough difficulties in visiting Naples, Capri, Vesuvius, Pompeii, the Amalfi Coast and Paestum in the limited time their schedules allow for Campania, and aren't going to thank him for wasting space on places they'll never see!

(For a more comprehensive guide to the area, you might seek out "Southern Italy" in the 'Blue Guide' series, which covers the area from immediately south of Rome down to Calabria)

You'll find some pictures from our visits here: http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/caserta

Peter

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is Caserta not on the itineraries?

bofoster wrote "The unfortunate thing about the palace there is that only the shell remains, the furniture and furnishings are gone. The garden is definitely worth a stroll. --- Camera time."

You'll have excuse me for this, but I do sometimes wonder if visitors get confused while in Italy and get it mixed up with somewhere else - Las Vegas or Disneyland perhaps?

The Royal Apartments and other parts of the Palace were definitely furnished when I photographed them in 2003 and again in 2004.

The ministry's website shows them as unchanged:

…beniculturali.it/guida_reggia/…3000fs.htm

And there are plenty of recently-taken photos on Flickr that suggest you'd still find them like that:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=rec&eui=22236631@N06&w=all&q=caserta+%22royal+palace%22&m=text

Of those, this photographer has some particularly nice ones: http://www.flickr.com/photos/77652658@N00/sets/72157621520822063/detail/

So do tell, where were you?

Peter

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,527 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is Caserta not on the itineraries?

Given what happened to the Cinque Terre after Rick Steves discovered it, I would very much prefer if Caserta ( as well as about a thousand interesting places in Italy) stayed out of THAT book -- FOREVER.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is Caserta not on the itineraries?

Totally agree with you FF....lets leave some places off the map!

Thankyou peter for the palace pictures link.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,828 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is Caserta not on the itineraries?

I so agree FF regarding the Cinque Terre, you were brave enough to say it,

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why is Caserta not on the itineraries?

I don't think Rick Steves has much to do with it. He has given a lot of attention to Naples, and Naples is hardly overrun with American tourists. Besides, plenty of other guidebooks do mention Caserta.

I think I lot of people don't make it there for the same reason I haven't - it's a bit out of the way and there are so many other extraordinary places to visit in Italy, so it's hard to make it a priority. I'd love to see that incredible fountain with my own eyes though...so maybe someday.

California
Level Contributor
51 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why is Caserta not on the itineraries?

Thanks Brit in Isch for sharing those photos. It looks like a lovely place. You are right, I don't need to add additional sights to my itinerary - it is hard to fit it all in. So, if I could only visit one "villa" in that region on this my first trip to southern Italy, should it be Hadrian's Villa, Caserta, or Ravello's Villa Rufello or Cimbrone? I appreciate all the responses!

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why is Caserta not on the itineraries?

Now there's an apparent coincidence - the Royal Palace is "featured" on the new version of the website of UnicoCampania, the group who run the bus and train ticketing system!

You'll find some more transport suggestions etc, here:

www.unicocampania.it/index.php…

Peter