We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canazei opinions

Gouda, The...
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Canazei opinions

Hi, we are looking at going to Canazei this year for our ski vacation. Last year we stayed in S. Christina, and the year before that the group stayed in Ortisei. We enjoyed that accomodation, but S. Christina was a bit too quiet for us. What are you opinions on Canazei in general? I know the skiing is great but I am more interested in the opnions about the town.

Thank you.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,833 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Canazei opinions

Canazei would be a lovely, for although a resort area (both summer and winter), Canazei is a more traditional town and has less a feel of a tourist resort, and more a feel of a town where locals live and work.

Vagabonda

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,492 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canazei opinions

Well if you thought S.Cristina was quiet then you won't find much difference in Canazei - and IMO the Dolomites/Sella Ronda generally. Depends what you call quiet. In Canazei you can find some lively apres ski (e.g Apres Ski Paradis) and the odd "lively" pub (Husky Pub) but not generally anything "party central" that you get in Ischgl/St Anton/Soelden in Austria.

Just as an aside the village is very drawn out and therefore depending on your choice of accommodation maybe some way to the Gondola - which can be a bit busy being the only way up.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,833 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Canazei opinions

No, Canazei isn’t big apres ski but in addition to excellent skiing, it’s a “town”, a real town…

If looking for apres ski, then Canazei wouldn't be a good choice....

Try Cortina....

Vagabonda

Woking
Level Contributor
539 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canazei opinions

Look at Arabba or San Cassiano.

Great skiing.

Happy Hols!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,833 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Canazei opinions

Arabba or San Cassiano are also great!

Vagabonda

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,492 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canazei opinions

as the OP said "I know the skiing is great "

Gouda, The...
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canazei opinions

Hi, thank you for all your replies, Vagabonda, when you say it is a real town do you mean it as a negative or positive thing?

Gabriella

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,833 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Canazei opinions

As a positive - Although Canazei offers amenities for tourists, it also offers tourists the opportunity to experience a working Dolomiti town.

Vagabonda

Gouda, The...
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canazei opinions

Hi, Thanks for the explanation. I was worried that it would look a bit too much like a "modern town" when you said that, I really like skiing in the area because of the autentic architecture, one of the reasons that I stopped going to France as it tends to feel too modern and not cosy at all in a lot of the places.

Regards

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
102,833 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Canazei opinions

Ciao GabriellaBubbles,

Canazei is quaint, authentic and very traditional, even preserving its culture and Ladin customs.

trekearth.com/gallery/…

www.travel-library.com/europe/italy/canazei/

Enjoy!

Vagabonda