We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visit vineyards for a day

connecticut
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
visit vineyards for a day

Interested in going from rome to Tuscany to a few of the wineries for the day with 4 people. Any one know of a private driver to do this and how much it would cost? How long would it take to go from Rome to Tuscany? Any popular wineries where you can also taste the cuisine while sampling the wine?

Mentioned in this post
Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visit vineyards for a day

One of the most popular locations seems to be Castello Verrazzano. Famous for their wines, wine tasting and cuisine in their cafe at the castello where the wine is produced. Do a google search to find them. We have the owners of our villa arranging our transportation for us. I understand most hotel concierges can help with this too. I would take a train from Rome to Siena or another small town in Tuscany as recommended and meet your driver there. Will likely be less expensive than having someone drive you the whole way - remember you pay for a guide and driver and the car/van and their time.

If I get more info from my villa owners I'll post it. Ciao! LL

Mentioned in this post
Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: visit vineyards for a day

Rome to Tuscany is a 2-3 hour drive. You could probably get a driver to do it, but in this case you should post the question on the Rome forum as it would make sense to get a driver from Rome.

As mentioned in the message before, you could take the train to Florence or the bus to Siena to start your tour there. You could either rent a car, a driver or take a tour. If you rent a car, you can get useful information about visiting wineries on www.tuscany-wine.com. You can rent a driver from Florence or Siena by contacting driver services (search the web/ a friend of mine used a driver named Franco, email: francofadda@hotmail.com) or take a tour (several have been mentioned on this forum and lots pop up if you search the net). We went on a tour with Rebecca who's specialized in wine tours (www.italy-wine-tours.com).

If you want to treat yourselves to one of the best wineries with one of the best lunches, Castello di Banfi is absolutely recommendable. You will need to reserve a table well in advance. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Get answers to your questions about Borgo San Lorenzo