We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tolls - Venice to Bardolino

Mollymook, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Tolls - Venice to Bardolino

Can anyone advise the number & the cost of tolls from Marco Polo Airport to Bardolino via Peschiera. Also because I am not familiar long distance toll roads what is the procedure. For eg do you get a ticket on entering and present it when exiting. Can you pay in Euros or only by CC.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,264 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tolls - Venice to Bardolino

You can get driving directions, fairly realistic times, and estimated costs (fuel and tolls) from www.viamichelin.com

For notes on driving in Italy, including autostrada tolls, see www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/ItalyDrive.htm

Mollymook, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tolls - Venice to Bardolino

Hi Nick,

I am presuming it is you who is the source of and uploaded Nick's Tips which are very helpful.

I was anticipating toll booths along the A4.

Using Google Maps to look for an exit north near Peschiera I found one just after the off ramp.

Similarly I can expect one short of the on ramp from Marco Polo Airport.

Not sure if I can expect any on the eastern shore of Lake Garda leading up to Riva del Garda but not expecting same to be tolled.

Thank you once again

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,264 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tolls - Venice to Bardolino

I think there is a short length of toll-free autostrada around Mestre, so you will not encounter a toll plaza as you enter the autostrada at Marco Polo. There will be one across the motorway just past Mestre. Take a ticket, and keep it handy for when you leave the autostrada.

If you take the A22 east of Lake Garda to get to Riva del Garda, it is tolled. If you use the scenic route along the edge of the lake, it is free.

Mollymook, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tolls - Venice to Bardolino

One further question Nick,

We intend having a few days in either Torri Del Benaco, Garda or Bardolino villages prior to taking a cruise of the Adriatic out of Venice. Do you know which of those villages are best served by the lake ferries from. top to bottom.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,264 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tolls - Venice to Bardolino

Sorry, I don't know about lake ferries. If you have a new question, it is always best to start a new thread.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tolls - Venice to Bardolino

When will you be at Lake Garda? This is the spring timetable from March 28th to May 31st:

navigazionelaghi.it/file/…202013.pdf

And the summer timetable (June 1st to Oct 6th) has just been made available:

navigazionelaghi.it/file2/…201.pdf

As you will see from the timetables, Garda and Bardolino are similar in the number of boat services. Torri del Benaco has very few passenger boats but there is a car ferry that crosses the lake regularly from Torri to Maderno. You can travel on the car ferry as a foot passenger.

Mollymook, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tolls - Venice to Bardolino

We will be the Lakes District and then Scotland on a Globus tour in July this year so we are looking ahead to having five days in Lake Garda in July 2014. We were favouring the Hotel Gardesana in Torri del Benaco but will now have to look closer at hotels in Garda and Bardolino if we wish to travel the lake by ferry from Sermione to Riva del Garda. I am aware of a day tour to the Dolomites -

see - tripadvisor.com.au/…48372018

- which picks up in Garda giving it a further tick.

We wish to follow this with a cruise from Venice to Rome.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tolls - Venice to Bardolino

Hi, do you mean that you want to travel the whole length of the lake on a boat from Sirmione to Riva, or do you mean you want to be in a location from where you can visit both Sirmione AND Riva easily by boat?

Excursions to the Dolomites pick up in all the major lake towns.

I hope you enjoy the Lake District and Scotland this year!

By the way, your link is for this thread.

Mollymook, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tolls - Venice to Bardolino

Thank you for your help. We are seeking to stay in a nice village by the lake having a pleasant lake outlook and where we can indulge in its cafes, bars, restaurants and shops and undertake lakeside walks and from which we can visit other lakeside villages and tourist sites by foot, ferry, bus and car. Having a hire car to deal with we will need to investigate access to close by parking and just how the local parking metres work.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,647 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tolls - Venice to Bardolino

Hi, Bardolino ticks all your boxes. There's a lakeside path from Bardolino northwards to Garda (about 45 minutes' stroll) and the path continues to Punta San Vigilio.

In the other direction you can walk to the village of Cisano (15 minutes) then to Lazise (another 45 minutes) or even further south to Peschiera.

The location of Bardolino means that you can visit other towns on the lake by boat - south to Sirmione, Desenzano and Peschiera; across to Salo, Gardone and Maderno, or north to Malcesine, Limone and Riva.

There's a bus service linking all the towns on the eastern shore of the lake with Verona.

I mentioned the car ferry between Torri and Maderno, but in the summer months there is also one between Malcesine and Limone.

I have never hired a car at Lake Garda so I can't help with the parking questions.

Get answers to your questions about Bardolino