We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Arezzo & then to Poppi--Car rental info

Which Arezzo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
High Point, North...
Level Contributor
70 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Rome to Arezzo & then to Poppi--Car rental info

Our party of 3 will be taking the train from Rome to Arezzo on a Saturday in August & then pick up up a car rental in Arezzo before driving to the villa outside of Poppi where we will be staying for a week at a cooking school. I am having difficulty on the Trenitalia site finding train travel between Rome & Arezzo for our specific date. Any idea how long it takes for train travel between the two cities? I also need to know which car rental company is located the closest to the train station in Arezzo & how long a drive is it to Poppi from Arezzo. Thanks so much for any help given!

ontario
Level Contributor
7 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Rome to Arezzo & then to Poppi--Car rental info

hi - is anyone going to casa ombuto italian cooking class the week of sept 16th 2011?

Navarre, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Rome to Arezzo & then to Poppi--Car rental info

I am siging up for the Oct class. Sounds like renting the car in Arezzo is the way to go. Can you tell me what the cost for a car is and what documents are required to rent on? Do I need an International drivers licence? Thanks

Navarre, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Rome to Arezzo & then to Poppi--Car rental info

Going to the school in Oct. Sounds like renting a car in Areaao is the thing to do. Can you tell me the approximate cost for a car for the week and if an international drivers licence is required to rent the car. I expect I would rent from Avis since it is located right across the street from the train station.

Thanks

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Rome to Arezzo & then to Poppi--Car rental info

You will need an international driver's license. If you are a member of AAA (in the US) you can get one through them pretty easily. For the cost, go to Avis's website to get a quote, as the cost will vary a lot depending on type of car and such. Also, be aware that virtually any car you rent in Europe, including the ones from Avis, will be a standard transmission (with a clutch). We rented from Avis in Arezzo and had a good experience.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Rome to Arezzo & then to Poppi--Car rental info

Charlie,

You will need to have an International Driver's Permit (IDP), not a license. Regardless of whether you are a member of AAA or not, that is where to get one. Nonmembers simply pay a bit more. You will need 2 passport photos for the IDP. These can be taken at the AAA office as well. Do not be fooled by online places that offer an "International Driver's License".

The IDP may or may not be requested by the car rental agency, but the larger point is that it is the law in Italy to carry one with you if you are driving (from out of the country). If you get pulled over by the police, they will require it along with your rental contract, your passport and your regular license.

Avis is directly across from the Train station in Arezzo. Hertz is further away and in an industrial area. You would need to take a taxi from the train station to there. Both the Avis and Hertz offices in Arezzo are closed on Sundays. The Hertz office closes at noon or 1pm on Saturdays and I believe the Avis office stays open until 4pm on Saturdays.

If you are flying into Rome FCO or other airport, you can also rent there instead of picking up in Arezzo. You will have more options for car rental companies, and models of cars - especially an automatic if you need one. Additionally, as mentioned, if you are picking up the car late on a Saturday or on a Sunday, your only real option is one of the airports. www.autoeurope.com is a broker that generally gives the best prices, so you can price compare. The ultimate rental through them will end up being at one of the major car rental companies such as a Hertz or Avis anyway.

26. Re: Rome to Arezzo & then to Poppi--Car rental info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:42 am, June 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Arezzo