We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watch the Limited Traffic Zone

VT
Level Contributor
9 posts
337 reviews
Save Topic
Watch the Limited Traffic Zone

We were only trying to get out of Arezzo, having gone there to find a place to stay and not finding it inviting. That was October. This is September, almost a year later, and I just got dinged 107 euros for going into their Limted Traffic Zone at 3 in the afternoon. Didn't really understand the impact. Only in the city for about 30 minutes. Watch out for LTZ.

United States
Level Contributor
9,626 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Watch the Limited Traffic Zone

In Italian it is a ZTL. See my avatar for the sign to avoid.

Too bad you didn't come here before the trip because we tell people every day about them. There are countless threads about them and the consequences of traveling through them.

TAB

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Watch the Limited Traffic Zone

Hi - not that it will help at all...

We've just been stung for exactly the same thing. Didn't really plan to visit Arezzo when on holiday in Tuscany last Easter, but called in for a look around on the way back from somewhere else - cost us 107 euro, plus an extra 40 euro for Europcar to pass on our details.

Expensive diversion!

That 'cheap little gettaway' we had in Easter is rapidly turning into a bit of a economic disaster - we were caught up in the 'ash-cloud' problem too and it ended up costing us a £1,000 more!

Going back to Tuscany next Easter - but if we go to Arezzo - we'll go by train!!!

Are there any other towns or cities that I should be aware of that operate this ZTL?

Cheers,

Level Contributor
745 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Watch the Limited Traffic Zone

Lots!

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Watch the Limited Traffic Zone

I'd modify the previous comment to read: Almost all of them!

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Watch the Limited Traffic Zone

Yes, after posting I looked up ZTL on Google, and now know much more about them - will not be caught again. I did spend some time reading up about the area before we went to Tuscany, but didn't come across any warnings.

We parked by the station in Arezzo, and walked up into the old part of the town, but got a bit lost driving out - that must have been when we were caught.

Will be using the train a lot more next year.

Very frustrating though - have driven extensively in France and Spain (and consider ourselves quite savvy), but not Italy before. I guess you live and learn...

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,599 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Watch the Limited Traffic Zone

Here is an article from the top questions about Tuscany forum. It will tell you everything you need to know about ZTLs, parking restrictions, drink-drive limits etc.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187893-c140065/Tusca…

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Watch the Limited Traffic Zone

That is a really helpful article - thank you. All the guide books I read before I went did not mention ZTLs - but did drink-drive limits, speed limits and particular problems with parking especially in Florence (which is why we went there by train).

Will definitely know what to look for next year, and won't get caught (I hope!).

Thanks again.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,338 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Watch the Limited Traffic Zone

Hah, Arezzo. As I posted the other week on a similar thread on this subject, we've been done several times there and have yet to see the sign. In fact, with nothing better to do one wet Saturday morning, we cruised around the outer perimeter of the old town centre carefully retracing our steps and only spotted one sign, and that was one we were already aware of. We think our bogey area is the district below the fortress where we sometimes park when we're antique shopping as it's less distance to carry stuff to the car but we're not entirely certain. Next time I'm there (having taken the train), I think I'll drop into the town hall and enquire.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
10,029 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Watch the Limited Traffic Zone

"Too bad you didn't come here before the trip because we tell people every day about them. There are countless threads about them and the consequences of traveling through them"

"Hah, Arezzo. As I posted the other week on a similar thread on this subject, we've been done several times there and have yet to see the sign. In fact, with nothing better to do one wet Saturday morning, we cruised around the outer perimeter of the old town centre carefully retracing our steps and only spotted one sign, and that was one we were already aware of"

and there's the rub - too many people on TA assume that being "made aware" is enough and somehow you will then avoid them which is plainly untrue.

The sign posting in Mantova for example is very good where there are a lot of normal road signs with additional info at junctions/side turnings indicating if you go in that direction you will be approaching a ZTL. Plenty of forewarning. This helpful signposting however is not repeated everywhere across Italy.

And as lastraniera points out, somebody who comes from the place probably most renowned for ZTLs and the bane of many an unsuspecting tourist, she can't work out where it went all wrong.

Yes we can forewarn people of their existence but it doesn't mean they won't become another statistic

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,599 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Watch the Limited Traffic Zone

Hopefully lastraniera will visit the town hall and got to the bottom of this anomoly in Arezzo, so we can warn people. I'm sure this is not the only problem area in Italy, after all it is Italians themselves that rack up most of these fines, but I'm not sure it is fair to suggest this poor signage is the norm and that people who are aware of the problem are still very likely to get fined, as anecdotal evidence on here does not suggest that.

Having said that, I do always advise that other tourists do as I do and use the train to visit cities, much less stressful and no issues with traffic, parking or ZTLs. Visiting towns and villages throughout the Tuscan region is best done by car and so long as people are aware of ZTLs and parking restrictions, should be simple and problem free.