We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AM rush hour and Avis before opening drop off

Walnut Creek
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
AM rush hour and Avis before opening drop off

On a a Tuesday morning in October I will be driving from Montelpulciano to Arezzo to catch a train to Florence (final destination Lake Como). I know all about ZTL so I don’t need advice there.

I’d like to catch a 9am train. Is there any type of weekday morning rush hour traffic that I should factor into my timing? And, has anyone had experience with dropping a car off with AVIS in Arezzo before their office actually opens? They open at 9am, but I’d really like to try to catch the 9am train vs the 10am if I can.

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
CA
Level Contributor
10,303 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AM rush hour and Avis before opening drop off

Travel from Arezzo to Lake Como stations [9:53AM], figure 5 to 5.6 hours with 2 changes. There are much better train times, 1 change, from Florence. Why don't you drop the car at the Garage Europa, walk about 3 blocks to the SM Novella? ZTL"s are not a problem; just don't drive in bus lanes.

Edited: 5:09 pm, June 06, 2018
Walnut Creek
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: AM rush hour and Avis before opening drop off

That was the original plan, but after reading about morning rush hour in Florence, I wanted to opt for a more stress free option. Total travel time will be about the same whether we are in a car or train. The way I see it, I’d rather relax on the train than fight big city traffic.

CA
Level Contributor
10,303 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AM rush hour and Avis before opening drop off

"Total travel time will be about the same whether we are in a car or train."

If your destination is Varenna [Como a little less], your Arezzo trains get you there at 3:23PM, last one from Milano Centrale. You would arrive in Varenna on the same MC train leaving SM Novella at noon.

Walnut Creek
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: AM rush hour and Avis before opening drop off

Yes, I know. But leaving from Arezzo saves me a 2 hour drive and possible delays in rush hour traffic getting into Florence. Like I said, I rather drive 50 minuets and relax on the train to Florence for and hour rather than fighting traffic. But that’s just me.

If you have any feedback for me on my original question, I’d appreciate your thoughts!

CA
Level Contributor
10,303 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AM rush hour and Avis before opening drop off

"And, has anyone had experience with dropping a car off with AVIS in Arezzo before their office actually opens?"

Where exactly are you headed? I don't see a 9am train. I hope you enjoy Lake Como!

Walnut Creek
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: AM rush hour and Avis before opening drop off

It’s at 9:16am. The office opens at 9am. I don’t imagine that 16 minuets is sufficient time to return the car and make it onto the train in time for departure.

Australia
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AM rush hour and Avis before opening drop off

Call the Avis office from Montepulciano, tell them what you want to do, ask if it's possible. You need time to inspect the car with them, you could drop passengers and luggage across the road at the station at 8.50. And then wait for Avis. But having called ahead to ask them. ... Or, or as they say about catching planes in Rome and the need to be there the night before, you could spend a night in beautiful Arezzo, the night before. We will be in Arezzo 3-10 October. There will be no rain. :-)

Or just dodge the mob in Montepulciano entirely

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinati…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXf55tJm96U

CA
Level Contributor
10,303 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AM rush hour and Avis before opening drop off

What train is this?? The only one I see is at 9:53.

Reply to: AM rush hour and Avis before opening drop off
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted