We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anzio

England, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
anzio

We are looking at spending a few nights on a beach resort before travelling to rome. Anzio looks nice and hotels are more reasonable prices? does any one have any advice about anzio? what is the town like? Are taxis expensive?

Also does any one know if the trains back to rome run on a sunday??

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Anzio
Anzio
Province of Rome, Italy
Hotel L'Approdo
Hotel L'Approdo
#1 of 11 hotels in Anzio
Serpa Hotel
Serpa Hotel
#2 of 11 hotels in Anzio
Grand Hotel Dei Cesari
Grand Hotel Dei Cesari
#3 of 11 hotels in Anzio
10 replies to this topic
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anzio

I can't answer your other questions, but the trains definitely run on Sundays, on a somewhat reduced schedule.

England, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: anzio

Thanks for that :)

Do you know anything about the WWF park close to Anzio?

Mentioned in this post
Anzio
Anzio
Province of Rome, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anzio

No, I've never been to Anzio, but I thought that by answering part of your question, I'd at least keep it near the top of the pile.

Mentioned in this post
Anzio
Anzio
Province of Rome, Italy
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anzio

Hi

We spent 3 nights in Anzio before catching the ferry to Ponza last year. Anzio is a quiet seaside resort, not touristy and lovely marina, just an hour to Rome. We stopped in a budget B&B which was clean, no aircon access to the kitchen and separate WC/bathroom but next to our bedroom and just a short walk from the train station and short walk down to the town centre. There is a lovely sandy public beach where you can use without charge but would need to take your own chair to sit on or towel to lay on. The other side of Anzio is a large beach area which has beach chairs but expensive and places to eat. We travelled from UK last September to Rome caught the ferry to Anzio. We then stayed a week in Ponza, then got the large ferry to Formia we had a day on Geata! beach in Formia which is lovely, then onto Naples for 4 nights then onto Rome for 4 nights. Fabulous time, travelling around was easy but you need to be alert we did have one time where we were very concerned but fortunately we did hold our ground and took quick action. The Italian people are very helpful and so friendly and we would go back to Anzio because it is low key and not touristy but did love Formia for different reasons. Hope this helps I know I have gone on a bit but we did enjoy our travelling around and we are in our mid 60's. Good luck. regards PD

Mentioned in this post
Anzio
Anzio
Province of Rome, Italy
Ponza Island
Ponza Island
Province of Latina, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Formia
Formia
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anzio

Thanks for the report, Plymdev. That should be very helpful to others. In fact, someone on another topic was asking about beaches near Rome, and I'm going to point them to this topic.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anzio

No problem, we did have every intention to post reviews on the places we stayed but only got around to the B&B in Ponza. We had a great day out from Naples along the Amalfi coast to Ravello by bus from Naples it was very cheap but a long journey we did meet a couple around our age on the bus going to Ravello they couldn't speak English and we can't speak Italian but we had great fun with them trying to communicate. We came back by train from Salerno to Naples, we got the information from TA for the alternative ways back from Ravello. The villa was the most beautiful place and took lots of photos.

Well I could go on forever ha ha.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

regards PD

Mentioned in this post
Ponza Island
Ponza Island
Naples
Naples
Province of Naples, Italy
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Salerno
Salerno
Amalfi Coast, Italy
St. Davids, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: anzio

Hi PD.. what was the budget BB you stayed in?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: anzio

Hi

Sorry but just picked up your message, I didn't seem to get notified of messages left, did you get sorted out.

Regards Pd

Craigavon, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: anzio

Hello

My partner and I are staying in Anzio from 2-6 March, will there be much open at this time and where else would be good to visit apart from Rome? We are hiring a car at the airport for the 4 days.

Thanks Catherine, Ireland.

Mentioned in this post
Anzio
Anzio
Province of Rome, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: anzio

The beach will probably be deserted, except for joggers and the like, and all beach services will probably be closed. There should be restaurants open.

You can get into Rome very easily by train, and it would be foolish to drive in, because of limited traffic zones (ZTLs) and very scarce and expensive parking.

You might want to visit one of the towns in the Castelli Romani area, a region of hills and lakes, or the pretty medieval town of Sermoneta.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Reply to: anzio
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted