We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grotto di Toirano (Caves of Toirano)

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Grotto di Toirano (Caves of Toirano)

We are traveling to Genoa in about 3 weeks and are looking for day trips.

We have thought about going to the Grotto di Toirano. Can anyone tell me the best way to get there (without renting a car)? I'm open to other ideas as well for day trips. Thanks.

Genoa, Italy
Level Contributor
265 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grotto di Toirano (Caves of Toirano)

How long are you staying in Genoa? Grotte di Toirano are nice but there are other day trips not to be missed!!

Especially the one to S. Fruttuoso Abbey (by boat from Genoa old port or from Camogli village).

Ciao

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
12,266 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grotto di Toirano (Caves of Toirano)

The Toirano caves are wonderful and certainly worth a trip. They are reachable by train (the station would be Loano) plus local bus. The website has all the info (albeit in Italian) at www.toiranogrotte.it/grotte/index_grotte.html

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grotto di Toirano (Caves of Toirano)

Thank you Il Mangia and FF for replying. We are staying in Genoa 5 days. Right now we are planning this for a day/overnight trip outside Genoa:

Train to Finale Ligure and visit Finalborgo for a few hours, then train on to Loano to see the Grotto, and then train on to Albenga and stay overnight.

Any other thoughts or ideas? Also, any hotel recommendations in Albenga - I would like something centrally located in the town and I have one recomendation but it is hard finding any info on hotels and locations for this city. Thanks again.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,266 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grotto di Toirano (Caves of Toirano)

Methinks your schedule is too tight. The Toirano caves are accessible by guided tour only, which takes approx 2 hours if I recall correctly, plus it will take at least 2 hours to get there. Exploring Finalborgo (perhaps also walking to the hillside village of Perti) will take you another couple of hours at the very least. And besides Albenga -- in spite of having a few interesting things in terms of art and history -- is kind of dull overall. Why not skip it altogether and overnight in Finalborgo instead (which has several nice hotels) and have dinner there -- try the Antica Osteria in the village of Perti and give my regards to Antonio there.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grotto di Toirano (Caves of Toirano)

FF, thanks again. Any hotel recommendations in Finaborga? Any what about Alassio - worth trying to get down there the next day just for the day or stick with Albenga but do that the next day before heading back to Genoa?

Ma
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grotto di Toirano (Caves of Toirano)

I am interested in the response to your question. How do you get there without a car from camogli or genoa?

francm@yahoo.com

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,266 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grotto di Toirano (Caves of Toirano)

fcmatts, supposing you mean how to get to the Toirano caves, just look up the Liguria region public transport website - it has all the regional bus and train schedules at www.orariotrasporti.regione.liguria.it (click on 'UK' on the upper right side for the English version).

8. Re: Grotto di Toirano (Caves of Toirano)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, August 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Albenga
Recent Conversations
More Albenga Topics