We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Fares

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
32 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Train Fares

We'll be taking the train from Malpensa to visit Asti for a few days then from Asti to Levanto and finally from Levanto back to Malpensa for our trip home. I've gotten the schedules from the Trenitalia website but they could only give me prices on the Asti to Levanto leg (16.60euro/ea.). Since the other two trips aren't reservable they gave no fares. Anyone have a rough guess what those fares (Malpensa to Asti and Levanto to Malpensa) would be? Also any ideas or tips on how to best make these connections would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,956 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Fares

To see these fares, go to www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html and use a travel date in the next 7 days.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
32 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Fares

That's what I did and the message for those segments is: "It's not possible to buy a travel solution with urban service The travel solution is not sellable for the selected segment".

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,956 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Fares

Go to the *exact* address that I quoted: it gives access to a different web site that *will* give you the prices.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
32 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Fares

Got it! Thank you very much!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,495 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Fares

Note that http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html will not give you advance reductions on fares from Levanto to Malpensa Aeroporto, nor provide e-tickets for that journey.

For advance reductions on that website, enter Levanto to Milan.

Buy Milan to Malpensa Aeroporto in Levanto or Milan, or from malpensaexpress.it/en/malpensa-express/ticke… within one month of travel. There are no reductions on this segment of your journey.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
32 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Fares

Thank you for that information. When I last visited Italy I simply bought all of my tickets when I got to the station. Do you think that I can do that this time or is advance purchase best for these connections?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,495 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Fares

For flexibility, buy at the station.

If you want to save money (as little as €9 instead of €22 for direct InterCity trains between Levanto and Milan) book 120 days in advance.

€9 fares are also potentially available on Intercity (but not Regional) trains between Asti and Genoa or Sestri Levante on your journey towards Levanto, but as the savings on these trains are small it's probably not worth booking in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Asti, Italy
Level Contributor
511 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Fares

First of all there is no train service to and from Malpensa, you need to either take the airport bus service or shuttle train to Milan and then train from there, or to Turin by airport bus. From Malpensa to Asti it may be easier to go to Turin by bus and take a direct train, as there are no direct trains from Milan to Asti. Bus is 20 euro (www.sadem.it/upload/orari/estivi/000020.pdf) and train to Asti around 4 euro.

From Asti to Levanto,Trenitalia website shows several solutions via Genoa with prices ranging 27 to 13 euro, depending on the time of day and type of train.I would suggest to buy your tickets at the train station and not bother to try and book online.

From Levanto I would take the airport bus from Milan Central as the Malpensa Express has its own terminal. Fare is around 22 euro for second class

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Turin
Turin
Province of Turin, Italy
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
32 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Fares

Grazie mille. I always appreciate the knowledgeable and helpful people who frequent this board.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,956 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Fares

>>there is no train service to and from Malpensa<<

I fear this is incorrect. There are trains from Malpensa Terminal 1 to both Milan Cadorna and Milan Central.