We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying truffles and consume at a restaurant?

California
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
Buying truffles and consume at a restaurant?

I am wondering if anyone has experience buying truffles during truffle festival and consume it at a restaurant? Is it fairly common? If so, any etiquette I should be aware of how to go by doing it? Or would it be better off just ordering dishes with truffles? Thank you.

8 replies to this topic
Greater London...
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
158 reviews
65 helpful votes
1. Re: Buying truffles and consume at a restaurant?

As a restaurant owner, I would not be happy if people started bringing their own ingredients for me to cook and serve.

I would be wondering how I make a profit and how am I protected if someone claims to became ill eating ingredients I have no idea of the source of.

Frankly, this is a ridiculous idea.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
14,342 posts
51 reviews
48 helpful votes
2. Re: Buying truffles and consume at a restaurant?

Hmmm, normally a ridiculous idea but this could be one of those rare exceptions. The good restaurants would normally have them during the festival days but some will not. I imagine if you are staying with a host, he/she would know a super casual local place where this is allowed

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
7,299 posts
112 reviews
109 helpful votes
3. Re: Buying truffles and consume at a restaurant?

"I am wondering if anyone has experience buying truffles during truffle festival and consume it at a restaurant? Is it fairly common?" - No, it isn't common (more like unheard of). Do you bring your own ingredients to restaurants at home for them to cook? Why would you assume a restaurant elsewhere would do this? If you wish to eat truffles then go to a restaurant serving them. In season this won't be difficult to find.

California
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Buying truffles and consume at a restaurant?

Thank you both. I happened to come across a review awhile back on a truffle hunting tour that the truffle hunter allow participants to buy the truffles they found and take them to a restaurant to consume, therefore my question. Ziggy, you might be right about smaller restaurants may allow that. : )

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
12,297 posts
17 reviews
17 helpful votes
5. Re: Buying truffles and consume at a restaurant?

I'm with Ziggy and have seen a few places in white truffle area in Croatia do this, chefs had no problem. Rural and laid back casual places with sublime traditional seasonal food. I reckon it could be a possibility in similar country places in Italy.

Edited: 9:33 pm, July 28, 2019
Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
12,297 posts
17 reviews
17 helpful votes
6. Re: Buying truffles and consume at a restaurant?

In truffle territory in season and during festivals seems more likely. Our first truffle hunt we were able to keep a small truffle to eat and they must be eaten fresh. Now we buy at festivals and eat them at home. But for a casual tourist without self catering options buying fresh truffles means getting them back home on time may be an issue so I understand why this was asked. We live in the middle of truffle territory and know a lot about them.

California
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Buying truffles and consume at a restaurant?

Thank you chef, that’s exactly it. : ) I rather asked a seemingly foolish question than doing things unknowingly that might be offensive to others, esp, it’s important to be a good tourist.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
12,297 posts
17 reviews
17 helpful votes
8. Re: Buying truffles and consume at a restaurant?

Thought so. We've been there. :)

Good you asked about etiquette...you just never know!

Hope you find that special place.

Reply to: Buying truffles and consume at a restaurant?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted