We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paestum vs. Agrigento

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Paestum vs. Agrigento

Hi,

We are planning to stay 2 nights in Agrigento - can we skip Paestum while time-challenged in Sorrento ??

Any opinions ?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,484 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paestum vs. Agrigento

Personally I would, it is quite a distance from Sorrento to Paestum, , and I feel the site at Agrigento is superior, but I am not an expert on these things,

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,934 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Paestum vs. Agrigento

Ciao romana_0120,

Paestum is certainly worth the visit, but if time-challenged in Sorrento.....

Most find that one night generally suffices around Agrigento – Have you considered adding a night to Sorrento and taking a night from Agrigento so you could see both Paestum and Agrigento?

Vagabonda

Edited: 9:24 am, February 04, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paestum vs. Agrigento

I assume you already have visited Pompeii and Herculaneum, both easily doable from Sorrento?

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paestum vs. Agrigento

Hello and THANKS !

We are staying 6 days in Sorrento (instead of 7) - i had to cut back by 1 day to be able to catch the Friday ferry to Stromboli - this makes things in Sicily so much easier (transportation wise) - and we may still "do" Paestum depending on how rushed we feel, but the (above) comments give me a better idea. Also our interests are more geological than historical.

Again, thanks.

Romana

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,934 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Paestum vs. Agrigento

Ciao romana_0120,

The cut is understandable and justified for the ferry to the Aeolians, especially with a keener interest in geological than historical – Visit Vulcano as well as Stromboli if possible.

And hopefully you’ll also be able to see Paestum without too much effort, and Sicily offers many opportunities for geological and historical.

Regards,

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
dd0
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paestum vs. Agrigento

Hi - Just read this - I had thought there was a ferry from Naples to Stromboli, but I have googled numerous sites and the only one I have been able to find is SNAV & they don't start until May 31st. This ferry would make my trip much easier, as I currently have to backtrack from the airport to the island & then back to the airport. Any advice? Thx.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,934 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Paestum vs. Agrigento

Check Siremar - Siremar runs service between Naples and the Aeolians....

http://www.siremar.it/

Vagabonda

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paestum vs. Agrigento

To dd0 of Calgary :

I have booked the Siremar ferry from Naples to Stromboli - you will have to make a telephone call (!!) and this may take several tries until you get a hold of someone that speaks English (i had my "fun" but ultimately succeeded - their website is also not the most user-friendly one); keep in mind they sail only Tuesdays and Fridays. The tel # to call from Canada is (011) 39 02 3959 5015 and just keep calling this number until you succeed (i was given various other numbers which all turned out to be nonsense and the highlighted number on their website is for Italy/Europe ONLY)

Good luck !

Romana

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,934 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Paestum vs. Agrigento

You could book the Siremar ferry via the Siremar website, an agency in Naples, or even with an online booking site.

http://www.siremar.it/Home.aspx

http://www.ferriesonline.com/booking.html

Click on the map over Campania, then Naples, and Napoli for a list of agencies selling tickets.

www.siremar.it/areapasseggeri/info.aspx

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
10. Re: Paestum vs. Agrigento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:32 am, May 16, 2013