We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Agrigento from Taormina on a Sunday?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Agrigento from Taormina on a Sunday?

Hi,

I am arriving in Taormina via overnight train at 8am on Saturday, June 11th. We're doing a Mount Etna tour with SicilyLife most of the day. The next day (Sunday), we want to go to Agrigento to see the Valley of the Temples as early as possible, so we can make it to our beachside hotel near the Palermo airport by Sunday afternoon.

Therefore, I'm wondering what is the best and quickest way to get to Agrigento on a Sunday, and where should we stay Saturday night to make this possible (Taormina or Catania)?

Also, does anyone know the best way to get to Cinisi from Palermo? Our hotel is the Azzolini Palm Beach Hotel.

Thank you SO much in advance.

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Agrigento from Taormina on a Sunday?

You can get to Azzolini hotel only by car, or a very expensive taxi. Check the reviews about this hotel, they aren't that good and you could reconsider your choice.

From Catania (not Taormina) on a sunday the first SAIS bus to Agrigento leaves at 9,30 am, and it will take about 3 hours

www.saistrasporti.it

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,732 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Agrigento from Taormina on a Sunday?

Welcome to Sicily mizzoudrew!

Where are you just prior to Taormina?

Have you considered flying? The overnight train is slow, long, and tedious.

car rental or train from naples to Palermo:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187768-i20-k42546…

You will not be able to travel from Catania to Agrigento, see the temples, and then travel from Agrigento to Palermo and Palermo to your hotel by mid-day on Sunday.

Consider a scenic transfer – Transportation with sightseeing. You could then spend a second night in Taormina.

tourofsicily.com/Point_to_point-Taormina-Pal…

bestofsicily.com/sicilytours_transfers.htm

Also consider spending your last night in Palermo for three reasons – There’s convenient, inexpensive and reliable bus service to the airport beginning at 4.00, there’s no public transport between Cinisi and the airport, and Azzolini Palm Beach Hotel has always had very mixed and less than sterling reviews.

www.prestiaecomande.it/index.php…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g642181-d633453…

The hotel’s airport transfer costs 30,00 euro.

http://www.azzolini.org/azzolini-en.html

Vagabonda

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Agrigento from Taormina on a Sunday?

Biondo, thank you very much for your reply. It looks like I will be staying in Catania on Saturday night then to ensure I can catch the 9:30 bus on Sunday.

It looks like I made a poor choice with the Azzolini Palm. Unfortunately, the booking is non-refundable. However, we do have some time before our flight on Monday, so it will be nice to be on the beach. How come taxis are so expensive from Cinisi to the airport? It's only 4 miles! In fact, I was wondering if we could just walk it if its a nice day? We'll only have one small wheeled bag.

Vagabonda, thank you for your reply as well!

The overnight train is actually exactly what we're looking for on our budget. It's only about 15 euros each and saves us from having to pay for lodging for the night. Plus, I'm excited about seeing the train ferry at Messina. Our SicilyLife guides are picking us up at the Taormina train station as soon as we arrive too.

I think our plan is to take the bus from Taormina to Catania on Saturday evening and stay the night there.

On Sunday, we'll take the 9:30am SAIS bus to Agrigento, which biondo said takes about 3 hours. Then, spend 2-3 hours in Agrigento, and take the train or bus to Palermo, which takes 2 hours. That puts us in Palermo around 6pm, and we'll have to figure out how to get to the Azzolini Palm (ugh).

We would stay another night but we have a flight on Monday at noon from Palermo to Bologna.

Thanks so much and please let me know if you have any other suggestions! (especially cheap ways to get to Cinisi)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,732 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Agrigento from Taormina on a Sunday?

You won’t be able to walk from your hotel to the airport, and there are no cheap ways to get to Cinisi.

Here are taxi rates…

http://www.gesap.it/index.php?livello=By+Taxi&sezione=210&lang=en

Hopefully you will get a train with air-conditioning - Bring your own food since there’s no food service.

Do you plan to see the Valley of the Temples?

Agrigento:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187890-i418-k3903…

Vagabonda

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Agrigento from Taormina on a Sunday?

Vagabonda,

Yes, the Valley of the Temples is the only reason we are going to Agrigento. I know that we're spending a lot of time on buses and trains just to spend a couple hours there, but it seems completely worth it to me! Plus, it will be nice to see the Sicilian countryside during the bus & train rides.

Thanks so much for the link to the cab rates. That is very helpful! Do you know how early it is recommended to arrive at the airport before a domestic flight (Palermo->Bologna)?

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to Agrigento from Taormina on a Sunday?

You are right about the cabs, just a few and very pricey, it's an old issue, they are more a luxury than a public service here...the majority of sicilians NEVER use cabs fro this reason, only in case of a real emergency, hospital and things like that...so they don't work, and can survive only ripping off the few tourists and business travellers.

if you can't cancel your reservation, the hotel transfer could be the best solution, if it's 30 euros book it, a cab from central station will cost you more.

Remember that The temples are out of town, you need to take a bus to get there, consider also the midday closing of everything...especially on a sunday!

You should be at the airport at least 45 minutes before, but an hour is better.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to Agrigento from Taormina on a Sunday?

Hi all,

Just to add to the options of getting to Cinisi so others know, I emailed the Azzolini about the best way to get to the hotel. They said I could take a train from the Palermo Notarbartolo station to the Cinisi-Terrasini station. From there, it is a short 2km walk to the Azzolini Palm Hotel.

The Palermo Nortabartolo station is here: http://tinyurl.com/3vwgmll

The Cinisi-Terrasini station is here: http://tinyurl.com/4ypmosa

Directions between the Cinisi station and the Azzolini Palm are here: http://tinyurl.com/3fcc9dz

Hope this info helps some others!

Edited: 11:04 am, April 14, 2011
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
100,732 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get to Agrigento from Taormina on a Sunday?

Usually an hour prior for a domestic flight…

You might find the bus to and from Agrigento more convenient than the train because the bus for the Valley of the Temples arrives and departs from the same bus station as the bus arriving from Catania and the bus departing for Palermo.

That walk from the Cinisi train station to the hotel with luggage is less than optimal.

Vagabonda

9. Re: Best way to get to Agrigento from Taormina on a Sunday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, October 30, 2012