We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Oman during NEw Year's

Which Muscat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
214 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Oman during NEw Year's

My grilfriend and I are considering staying a week in Oman (Shangri-La Resort) for New Year Eve and were wondering how we could keep busy over that period...

The water probably won't be as warm as we like, so we might spend some time at the beach or swimming pool, but are suaully the hyperactive type of tourist (we like to wake up to visit museums, monuments, natural wonders, try ou the local means of transportation, try local foods...)...

I've heard a lot about the historic forts, are there any other things noteworthy that we should do?

Should we rent a car to get around?

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Oman during NEw Year's

Christmas and new year are not public holidays in Oman, so it is business as usual with Museums, forts ..etc. This forum contains many information, and the opening times and recommendations will not change during new year and new years eve.

Some people find that driving in Oman is bad, in my opinion, if you are a competent driver, then you should be fine. A car with a recent GPS containing an updated map of the area will be good IMO. If you are active, consider things such as Wadi Shab in Sur ...etc. Forts in Nizwa, Bahla, and Nakhal and some of the local "small" muscat museums.

Local transport system is not good, so I would recommend a car for you to drive around.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,723 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Oman during NEw Year's

And the Shangri-La complex has comprehensive New Years Eve celebration activities.

London, United...
Level Contributor
724 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Oman during NEw Year's

Assume you mean end Dec new year and not the public holiday here for the Islamic new year ??

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
214 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Oman during NEw Year's

NATtheMan, thanks a lot for the info, I have followed your advice and rented a Car, probably the best way indeed...

We will prbaably spend time visiting Wadies and Forts...

PS: I meant Dec/Jan 2012 indeed :-)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Oman during NEw Year's

The weather will also be nice and cool for desert camping if you are interested in that.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Level Contributor
214 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Oman during NEw Year's

Thank you greasy.. I'm not too much of a camper though ;-)

London
Level Contributor
101 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Oman during NEw Year's

Thanks for all the info on this. Wanted to know, is the weather nice enough at this time of the year to swim and do watersports in the sea?

thanks

jp

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Oman during NEw Year's

Of course. Might get a bit chilly depending on the person, but it should be absolutely fine.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in Oman during NEw Year's

You can also attend the new year's eve Gala by the Mariinsky Ballet which takes place in our shiny new Royal Opera House. I checked and they still have some tickets which you can buy online if that is your thing. Unfortunately, all other events are sold out.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
16 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in Oman during NEw Year's

it seems also the 31 is sold out

any chance to buy a ticket at the last minute?

thanks