We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code for Children in Muscat

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
1 post
49 reviews
Save Topic
Dress code for Children in Muscat

What is the dress code for children/girls in Muscat?

Should my 5 year old cover or can she walk around showing arms and legs. She is very blond and I don't want to attract too much attention.

Same for boys, can they wear shorts/T-shirts?

Thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress code for Children in Muscat

I personally think that 5 is far too young to worry about "attracting attention." You should probably be most concerned about keeping them protected from the sun, depending on what time of year you will be there.

Boys in general can generally slip under the radar when it comes to clothes. You will even see young Omanis (up to young 20's) wearing shorts. For them, the general guideline is to have everything past their knees. I wouldn't worry about a young boy though.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,184 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress code for Children in Muscat

Same for a blond girl.

My granddaughter aged 5 wore a T shirt and skirt to go around the souq and the shopping malls and attracted no more attention than any other tourists.

The same could not be said of villages in Egypt where the older men were totally fascinated by the bare arms of a blond child and wanted to touch her, in a non threatening way.

But Oman is not Egypt, inshalla.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress code for Children in Muscat

There is certainly an Egyptian fascination with blondes. Most of the tourists who come to Salalah are Swedish, so I think the locals are more surprised to see non-blonde foreigners.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
662 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress code for Children in Muscat

No dress code for kids. Whatever they are happy with. Many local kids here running around in shorts and tshirts.

Santa Clara...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress code for Children in Muscat

I have a twelve year old girl and eleven year old boy.

Can you suggest dress code for both of them as they are not small kids but they are not teenager either.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
662 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress code for Children in Muscat

Pants and T-shirts for the girl, same for the boy. Boy can also get away with knee length shorts and t-shirt. Hope this helps.

Santa Clara...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress code for Children in Muscat

Thanks Much . Really appreciate your inputs.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress code for Children in Muscat

I agree with the above, it's a very safe and generally open culture. The locals are very understanding of westerners, and have no issues in most places with them wearing normal western clothes.

9. Re: Dress code for Children in Muscat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, June 19, 2013