We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat: Bali>Lembongan>Gili Air>Bali

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
574 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Boat: Bali>Lembongan>Gili Air>Bali

Which would be the best fast boat for this itinerary?

From Bali to Lembongan, 3 days later onwards to Gili Air, 9 days later back to Bali.

I was thinking of sending a mail and asking for a quote for the whole trip.

Do you think that might get me a better total price?

Trip is for September so we're hoping for calm weather :)

Thanks

Jon

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
574 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat: Bali>Lembongan>Gili Air>Bali

Found Scootcruise who sail from Lembongan to Gili, are they ok?

http://www.scootcruise.com/timetable.htm

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat: Bali>Lembongan>Gili Air>Bali

Hi Jon, September weather is likely to be OK, but still pay some attention to the prevailing conditions prior to departure.

You can only see around 5 km out to see, so the sea conditions out in the middle are somewhat difficult to visualise.

The same caveats apply to all the operators, some are better than others, and some are worse.

You are travelling toward the end of the yearly peak season so the greatest concern might be overloading.

Perhaps keep you eyes on the forums here over June-July -August and monitor any commentary on the Fastboats during that time.

Edited: 1:10 am, March 25, 2013
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat: Bali>Lembongan>Gili Air>Bali

Hello,

Scootcruise are o.k, as far as i've heard. I haven't actually sailed with them before, but they have quite a good rep. Personally i change things up between flying and sea crossings when i go to the gili's (on average once or twice a year), as like j_hercules said, when the seas get choppy it can be somewhat uncomfortable, even dangerous. I get motion sickness when it gets rough, so only cross by fast boat when the season/weather permits. That is more often than not, and though i sometimes get a bit seasick i still generally prefer the excitement and views of the sea route to the sterility of air travel, but that's just a matter of personal taste. When i do go by fast boat, i usually book with the gilibookings website as they have higher safety and service standards with the operators they feature. I believe scootcruise is one of the co's they work with. Otherwise you can book through an agent or email the operators directly. Just be careful about the boat you pick, as mentioned above, some of them can be fishy haha.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
574 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat: Bali>Lembongan>Gili Air>Bali

Thanks for the replies.

Will make sure to check out the current situation when the time comes.

It looks like Semaya One or Scoot Cruises are the only ones that can handle a combined trip like we need (according to gilibookings). Will use them to arrange the trip if we decide to go by boat.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boat: Bali>Lembongan>Gili Air>Bali

Hi Jon, perhaps have look over SandyL's recent posts tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k627… on her trip to Gili islands.

It has an informing account of an air trip, including her transfers to Gili T to and from the airport.

If you do want to use a Fastboat and don't wish to spend the time mucking about with the booking then perhaps follow the advice above on gillibookings, you will pay a bit more but the convenience and booking surety might make the premium worthwhile.

There is a fair range in the quality of boats, operational standards, and pricing.

Edited: 12:37 pm, March 25, 2013
6. Re: Boat: Bali>Lembongan>Gili Air>Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:50 am, March 26, 2013
Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boat: Bali>Lembongan>Gili Air>Bali

Marina Srikandi are also one of the cheapest operators, and they are currently advertising Rp250,000 on their own website for Padang Bai through to Senggigi on the mid-west coast of the Lombok mainland

Marina Srikandi now operate to both Senggigi, and to the Gili islands.

However they also have a pretty dreadful reputation, including lots of condemnation on these TA forums spanning a long period of time.

Of course anyone can improve, but it has yet to be determined if that includes Marina Srikandi operations.

This is their own website http://www.marinasrikandi.com/schedule.html, the one linked in the preceding Post is just designed to look as though it is Marina Srikandi's own website, but it appears to be a booking service.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
574 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boat: Bali>Lembongan>Gili Air>Bali

Thank you Hurcules, flying does look fine as well. Only trouble is that we will be doing Lembongan in between Bali and Gili Air.

Is there any advantage to booking through gilibookings instead of directly on scootcruise.com?

I can see it's about 6 dollars more through gilibookings.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boat: Bali>Lembongan>Gili Air>Bali

It will probably be $6.00 less frustrating :)

Also you might have a better chance of having any problems addressed should they by chance occur.

The proprietor of the booking site (Marcus of MantaDive) has a fairly high profile and he is also active on these Forums.

He is keen to promote the concept of booking surety, and he has decent payment options and issues an e-ticket of some sort. He will probably get a fair bit of grief here on these forums from any aggrieved customers if anything goes wrong so that is also something to bear in mind.

That website has just introduced some booking incentive promotions gilibookings.com/special-offers-diving-gili that may add some extra value to using them to book the trips. That has only just started though and there has not been any time for any feedback on their value to be recounted on the travel forums. It seems to consist of 10-15% discounts on dining (at places you might actually want to dine at) on the islands, and some other things like discounts on diving, kayaking and paddleboarding rentals and activities.

The way it is illustrated on the Gilibookings website the paddleboarding appears to only involve participation by reasonably attractive looking bikini clad young women so that may hold an attraction for some visitors.

I was thinking more of your trip home in the context of flying as you outlined your visit to Lembongan above, at least after coming over on a Fastboat you will have a better appraisal of that method of access.

Still look out for the weather and the sea conditions, some people have had a great trip over, then a rather different ride back, just because the sea conditions have changed.

BTY, the weather in September is generally somewhat idyllic.

Edited: 2:43 pm, March 25, 2013
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
574 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boat: Bali>Lembongan>Gili Air>Bali

That is usefull information indeed, thank you so much :)

We will be doing diving so thats perfect... not sure if the missis is ok with me paddleboarding in a bikini though :)

September is great, we were in Bali same time in 2012. It's perfect timing for the late European sommer vacation season.

Get answers to your questions about Gili Islands