We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Abaco?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
106 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Abaco?

Looking to take a trip to Abaco, looks quite amazing from what I have been reading. I've been to Exuma and Eleuthera, and love the charm of these islands, and the ability to explore various beaches. Where should I stay in the Abaco islands? Does one need to have a boat to enjoy the various beaches? Traveling solo, so want to stay in an area with restaurant choices and great beaches and snorkeling. Where would you recommend?

Mentioned in this post
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Abaco?

If you are not planning on boating then I would concentrate my search on Elbow Cay around the Hopetown settlement or Green Turtle Cay. Either place would give you dining options, safe environs, friendly locals, and places to explore/swim/snorkel/beach it. You can rent a golf cart for transportation on either cay and find day trips to get off shore and see more of the area.

Mentioned in this post
Elbow Cay
Elbow Cay
113 Reviews
Great Abaco Island
Green Turtle Cay
Green Turtle Cay
Abaco Islands
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Abaco?

Oh, and you might also start reading the forum at www.abacoforum.com if you have not already- lots of links to helpful information and advice from second homeowners, locals, and frequent visitors.

daisytown
Level Contributor
655 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Abaco?

We have been to both Eleuthera and Elbow Cay. We loved Elbow but the beaches do not even come close to comparing with Eleuthera. There was no snorkeling to speak of from shore that I could find. It's a charming island , we loved traveling by golf cart but would not recommend if you are looking for Eleuthera type beaches. I thought it was more geared to the boaters , just my opinion.

Nancy

Mentioned in this post
Elbow Cay
Elbow Cay
113 Reviews
Great Abaco Island
Eleuthera
Eleuthera
Out Islands
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Abaco?

True- maybe you would want to consider Long Island? Read Jungledriver's recent reports- she has been to LI more than once and does a lot of diving and snorkeling so she could give you good advice.

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Where to stay in Abaco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 07, 2014