We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which island?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Topic
which island?

My husband and I (in our 30's) and our 2 1/2 yr old will be flying into Marsh Harbour mid May, we will have about 10 days before flying back to Nassau. Any suggestions as to what island would be the best to stay at? Or if we should split the islands and see 2 of them? We would like to rent either a cottage or condo close or on a beach, if not on the beach it would be great to have a pool. Our plan is to rent a boat while we are there so we can do some day trips to other islands or beaches.

Any suggestions are welcome.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,902 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which island?

For us, hands down Elbow Cay in the "settlement" at Hopetown. Lots to walk to and even a playground equipped for the little one. 3 small grocery stores for daily needs. We fly into MH and have Sherilee meet us with the taxi/van. She can take you right to Maxwells which is a very nice modern grocery store having all you need for your stay in a condo/cottage. Bring along an insulated tote for easier handling of milk, etc. Then she'll take you down to the ferry for the ride over to Hopetown. Whatever cottage you rent will have someone meet you with a cart to get settled. (tannykeyrentals.com, elbowcayrentals.com to start) they have all sizes and types of accomodation. Some are right on the harbor overlooking the lighthouse and within steps of restaurants etc even an ice cream shop! You can rent a boat at a couple of different places. We like Island Marine on Parrot Cay (they will pick you up). Rent a boat for a few days and a golf cart for the others to explore the island and go to beaches. Great Holiday! By boat you can easily visit Great Guana Cay, Lubber's Cay Little Harbour.

College Station...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: which island?

As stated in the previous reply, you would do well to stay at one of the out-islands instead of Marsh Harbor.

Elbow & Guana are great choices, but our family favorite is Green Turtle Cay.

The "best" can debated to no-end, because they are ALL GREAT choices. Mostly depends on what your personal preference is. Check on abacoforum.com and you will get plenty of feedback.

Differences:

Elbow Cay seems a little more developed and has a huge natural harbor and the light-house.

Guana is somewhat of a new-comer to the out-island destination scene. It had, or has a golf course, but I'm not a golfer so I'm not qualified to comment.

Green Turtle - The town is usually described as "quaint" with limited but sufficient grocery & restaurant options.

Green Turtle photos posted here:

http://gtctravels.blogspot.com/

Wherever you go in this area you are much more likely to find yourself on an empty beach than poolside in a cabana ordering blender drinks.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which island?

although sometimes poolside with a blender drink is nice so Hopetown Harbour Lodge, Abaco Inn and Sea Spray Resort (all on Elbow Cay) all have pools you are welcome to use when you buy a drink or eat lunch there so that is often a nice afternoon hour or so when you have a child along.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,902 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which island?

SO true DnA...after 3 or 4 days on the boat island hopping, there is nothing like a frosty drink poolside at the Abaco Inn for me! Ocean waves crashing, music playing and golf cart waiting to stop off at Firefly overlooking the sea of Abaco for one of their frozen iced tea vodka and lemonade specials on the way back to the cottage to grill up fresh fish, lobster and conch!

Hoping in our elder years, if we are ever done with boating we can just stay at the Lodge or Abaco Inn and be content letting someone else do the fishing and cooking! Haven't made it to Green Turtle yet but know others who won't go anywhere elso...too many islands ;- )

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which island?

Hi Obxpat-

I love GTC but remembering back when I was younger and had kids along I think Hopetown is still the best recommendation for this poster. You are so right and I do think there is much more opportunity for island hopping by rental boat when you are more centrally located like Elbow. On GTC there are more deserted places to see in the boat unless it is calm enough (and you are a confident enough boater) to get to GGC or TC. We are boat owners but the weather was not conducive to our doing either when we were last in GTC two years ago. I love going out in the boat and being able to stop at places like Lubber's, Sea Spray, Cap'nJacks, HHL, Abaco Inn, the marina in MOW, Harbour's Edge or Pete's for lunch- so many more opportunities for that also when centrally located.

Counting down to GGC in late June- can't wait!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: which island?

Thanks for your suggestions, we couldn't find anything on Elbow for our dates so chose Lubbers because its a short boat ride to Elbow and then Guana Cay for the other half of our stay. Looking forward to it!

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,902 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which island?

We have never stayed on Lubbers but always visit Cracker Ps there. As long as you have a boat you will be able to hop over to Elbow for the day, hang out at Tilloo Beach and even go down to Pete's Pub. Elbow and Lubber's are very close to one another. Maybe boat over and rent a golf cart one day to explore. Once you are up in Guana you will have a whole different area to explore. A few great restaurants and unbelievable water! ENJOY

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: which island?

Thanks! Yes we have rented a boat for our whole time there so we can beach/island hop. If anyone has any recommendations as to good beaches/islands to explore close to Lubbers and Guana Cay please let me know.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,902 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which island?

Be sure to visit abacoforum.com. TONS of info and lots of ideas. Folks on there who go to the Abacos multiple times a year! Very helpful and nice folks. If you can, get a copy of the DODGE GUIDE for boaters! It is excellent and marks every snorkel spot, fishing spot, SHOAL well you get it! If it's not avail you could ask the people you rent from if they can get a copy for you.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: which island?

Got our copy of that book in the mail this week :-) and signed up for the forum too.