We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family all inclusive hotel August 2013

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Family all inclusive hotel August 2013

We are planning a holiday in August (with children age 7 and 11) and are looking for a good all-inclusive hotel. We are considering St James's club. Smugglers Cove Coconut Bay Beach and St Lucian Rex. We want to be right on the beach and in a hotel with kids club and a good pool suitable for length/ lap swimming (daughter swims competitively so being able to get a good swim in would be great!)

Any advice on hotels transfers would be great too!

Level Contributor
5,164 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family all inclusive hotel August 2013

I can't comment on Smugglers or the St Lucian but I know for certain the pools at St James and Coconut Bay aren't really suitable for swimming lengths - they are about half the size of a standard pool. The kids club at CB and St James are more suited to younger children. Windjammer Landing (http://www.windjammer-landing.com/) has great kids club - it is not all-inclusive, however they do offer an AI package and they have fully-equipped villas. Another resort that has a good kids club and a very swimmable beach is Cotton Bay (http://www.cottonbayvillage.com/).

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family all inclusive hotel August 2013

Skip the St Lucian - the AI is very, very limited and the pool is not great for laps, etc. The beach is great, and if you choose to stay there, just don't go AI; you are easy walking distance to over 25 restaurants and all price points and tastes - why limit yourself to one option?

St James Morgan Bay's pools aren't the best for lap swimming, and neither really is Smugglers. SJ beach is decent for swimming, better than the other 2. All the resort's pools are designed for fun and relaxation, not exercise and laps.

Coconut Bay may be your best bet for the pool lap swimming requirement - the activity pool has one portion that is of very good length and straight on for swimming laps, the local swimming club here in the south uses it for training. There are several other pools, swim up bar, kids club, waterslides, several dining options, etc. The beach is beautiful and long, but the ocean is relatively rough as it's the Atlantic, so no watersports. The kids club is great and the waterslides are lots of fun, pretty good entertainment and good food (not gourmet, but none of them are!). Overall, a solid family resort with a bonus of only 5 minutes from the airport as opposed to 1.15-1.5 hours drive. And also closer to the sights of St. Lucia, if you plan to explore.

Of the options, probably your best bet except for the ocean/watersports. The sea is swimmable, but can be rougher than the Caribbean side.

Windjammer is excellent with a great kids club - can't say for the ppols for lap swimming though - don't remember any being suitable. And it's not a true AI like the others, but there is an AI package add on.

Good luck with your research and enjoy your visit!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family all inclusive hotel August 2013

Smugglers Cove has a pool by the gym which although is not a full size length training pool is usually quiet and so may be good for distance swimming. My sister is a competitive swimmer for people who have a disability and she swims distance in the sea at Smugglers Cove, there is an area roped off for swimmers but if a pool is needed then I suggest the pool by the gym.

We have also stayed at Morgan Bay but my sister was badly stung by a Portuguese man o war there which put us off swimming in the sea there, just bad luck I know.

4. Re: Family all inclusive hotel August 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 16, 2014