We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beach?

Berkshire
Level Contributor
343 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
best beach?

Not sure if the beaches are full of coral, or have volcanic sand, and only one person has said that in front of Coconot Bay the sand shelves deeply and quickly into the sea, and being a non swimmer I am a bit concered. Any information would be appreciated.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,333 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best beach?

That is all dependent on which beaches you are looking at, where on the island you are staying, etc. Most beaches, especially on the Caribbean side, are pretty calm waters, fairly shallow to wander out a little bit, may have a reef or 2 around, and light tan to darker blackish sand. It is a volcanic island - there is no natural blinding white sand beaches, except for the few resorts that import sand as they believe that is what tourists want.

Most beaches on the Atlantic side have much rougher waters, but again, the sand is the same and you can wade out for a bit. There are very few resorts on the Atlantic side - Coconut Bay is one of the only ones. It is on a long, long stretch of beach, the resort has installed several breakwaters to help keep the sea calm in front of the resort, it is a sandy bottom beach for the most part.

If you are concerned, i would recommend staying on the Caribeean side of the island. Most of the resorts are in areas with calm seas, with sandy beaches.

Hope this helps!

Berkshire
Level Contributor
343 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best beach?

THANK YOU. Such a full and extremely helpful report. I am most grateful.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,123 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best beach?

To add to reedprincess' great info - in Soufriere I found the beaches at Anse Chastanet and Jalousie drop off from the shore pretty quickly but Soufriere Beach was much more shallow. The water is definitely much calmer on the Caribbean side.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
343 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best beach?

I am researching for something special for next January - I had no idea until I have looked into various places thoroughly, just how HUGE is the Atlantic, we automatically think - Caribbean, calm warm seas and white sands and palm trees, but not the case is it?! Was a bit disappointed in Barbados last year, Cape Verde had huge on shore waves with undertow, so wanted to be extra careful next time!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,333 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best beach?

Yes, tha Atlantic is huge and borders many islands, which can make for some strong waves at times.

Anse Chastenet beach does have a drop off - it goes from ankle deep to chest - high pretty quick, but it is a very calm bay - almost never any waves or undertow at all, you can easily walk out and just laze around in the chest high or so water without worrying to much about drifting away or losing your footing. It can at times have a strong current, but that is mostly further out from the coast - the chances of you being caught in it from the beach area is extremely slim.

Same goes for Jalousie beach - the drop off is not quite as sharp there, but does go from ankle to chest high fairly quickly, but again, a very protected, calm bay for swimming or floating around, there is easily enough area to keep your feet on the ground. The Soufriere beachfront definitely has more of a walk out aspect.

There are lots and lots of beaches and coves up and down the west coast (Caribbean side) of the island with very swimmable/floatable waters. One of my favorites is Laborie (Rudy John Beach Park) Absolutely beautiful beach with amazing calm waters and you can walk out for quite a ways, there is one area where you can pretty much lay down and the water just laps over you and also some deep spots for actually swimming - the bay extends for a long ways and is very protected with some reefs a ways out and long arms of land on each side - quintessential Caribbean looking beach with palm trees growing out of the sand, turquoise waters, some grass, fishing boats pulled up on the sand - beautiful. There are not resorts in the area, but Coconut Bay is about 15-20 minutes away by car and several guesthouses in the area.

Enjoy your visit!!

Berkshire
Level Contributor
343 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best beach?

You should write a travel book, your descriptions are so wonderful and extremely helpful. I may veer away from St Lucia and maybe try Antigua instead.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best beach?

Hi Patricia

If wonderful white sand beaches are your first priority then, yes, Antigua will fit your requirements. They say there are more beaches there than days in the year!

That said, St Lucia has a lot to offer. I like the beaches at Anse Cochon (volcanic sand but clear waters and a great resort at Ti Kaye), Cap Maison - Smugglers Cove beach, clear Atlantic waters with waves but little undertow - swam in this just two days ago on a very windy day!, Cas En Bas beach, very caribbean postcard with lovely shade provided by the palm trees and nice water, Anse Chastenet for good snorkelling, Anse Mamin, nearby to Anse Chastanet, for a lovely caribbean beach and nice water.

Have a great holiday whatever you decide. If you are a beach person go for Antigua, if you want a bit more variety than go for St Lucia!

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,123 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best beach?

Geologically speaking Antigua is a boring coral sand island. St Lucia is more akin to a Pacific Island - beautiful rugged coastline with a lush mountainous interior. St Lucia may not have the white sand beaches you come to expect of a Caribbean Island but it truly is a traveler's paradise - there's something for every type of vacationer. St Lucia is quite amazing and the people are some of the friendliest on the planet - you'll have a great time!

Berkshire
Level Contributor
343 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best beach?

Crumbs. Getting more and more difficult knowing what to choose, but thank you all for your so helpful tips and information. I will bear in mind what you have all said.

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best beach?

Is Rodney Bay Beach area considered calm water and "not sinking in right away". So many things to consider.

Get answers to your questions about Cap Estate