We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foreign exchange and budget

Tonbridge, United...
7 posts
Foreign exchange and budget

Hi there

Can someone advise on exchanging money and paying for things. Coming from UK and been told to exchange money at airport in Goa and pay in Rupees of using debit card.

Are debit cards used at most places?

Is it worth using that predominantly or Cash?

Is the hotel exchange rate similar to elsewhere? (Mango by Jasmin)

Any other advice?

Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
North East England...
Level Contributor
355 posts
79 reviews
46 helpful votes
1. Re: Foreign exchange and budget

I can't speak for your resort but in my experience I'd say most people use cash., both to pay for food and to obtain rupees. That said we've also used a Revolut card to withdraw cash and to pay for meals. There was a problem a couple of years ago when the Indian authorities withdrew certain bank notes and withdrawing cash at an ATM was difficult. We travel shortly and again will take the Revolut card, you load it from a UK bank account. We will predominantly take Sterling and exchange it when in resort.We also take another card, a Halifax Clarity credit card as a back up. It's impossible to say whether a hotel rate would be more or less you would have to check when there.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
397 posts
16 reviews
24 helpful votes
2. Re: Foreign exchange and budget

Exchange rate at airport is very poor. You will get a better rate if you withdraw cash from atm. there is an atm at the airport.

You can use credit /debit cards at many places in goa. However you may need to inform your bank of your travel to india. also do check your banks credit/debit card charges for international atm withdrawals.

Have a nice trip!

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
7,384 posts
126 reviews
119 helpful votes
3. Re: Foreign exchange and budget

I have a Nationwide account with free foreign withdrawals at ATMs so use that. Take some cash as a back up. Loads of shops in Goa do exchange at good rates. The ATM at the airport is just outside arrivals (to the left).

Reply to: Foreign exchange and budget
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Betalbatim
Recent Conversations
More Betalbatim Topics