We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oceanis rooms

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Oceanis rooms

Has anyone any information about Oceanis Rooms in Sougia, Crete ,please. They are right on the beach, and look superb. The info on the Sougia page has plenty of photos and booking form, but I cannot find any reviews anywhere. Help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oceanis rooms

As you'll have seen on the website, this complex used to be known as "Maria's Rooms". It has obviously been newly and extensively refurbished and enlarged, and I would guess that it it has a new owner, as "Maria", when I first saw her about 12 years ago, was a very elderly woman.

You could look for reviews under "Maria's Rooms", but if my guess is right that there is a new owner and that it is to all intents and purposes a new hotel, they wouldn't be very relevant. If you like the look of it, and it does look lovely, I wouldn't hesitate to take a chance. I would! The prices are good, and the location is excellent.

If you want to save a little money, the rooms without sea view may have a mountain view which (I think) is even nicer. Ask before you book, in case there is a bigger building right behind it that would obscure the view.

All the accommodation in Sougia is good: it's very competitive, and any owner offering less-than-good accommodation wouldn't last very long.

I've stayed in several places in Sougia and I like a couple of them - Arkhondiko and Idomeneas - very much. So if you're at all hesitant, I can recommend them, and if you like I can tell you a little more about them. But neither is right on the beach, and if you want to be right on the beach I don't think you can do better than Oceanis Rooms.

Edited: 11:01 am, September 26, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
18,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oceanis rooms

I meant, above, that I would take a chance, not that I would hesitate. Just in case that wasn't clear.

And by saying the accommodation is competitive, I meant that they are all after repeat business, as people come back to Sougia year after year and tend to be loyal to the accommodation they like. If a new place wasn't up to scratch, it would have a hard time surviving.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oceanis rooms

Hello

I am sorry if this answer is a little late! It may be of use to someone else if not you. We stayed at the Oceanis rooms at the end of August. I e-mailed and asked for a sea view room, and didn't get one. OK........ We were given a room at the back of the building. It was a five bedded room/appartment. We aren't too fussy, and we have travelled extensively on Crete, staying at many places. This room stood out because it was the dirtiest and most expensive that we stayed in on our five week trip. The 'view' was of the back of the houses at the back of the place, with a side window that over looked a restaurant kitchen. There was air con, but in this room it emitted an odd fishy smell. We waited 3/4 of an hour on arrival before anyone appeared. I understand what Cretan time is. The reception is obviously used as living space, and is a dishevelled mess.On 'checking out' I was handed someone elses passports from an easily accesible shelf. I have no idea if this building is part of the one that you have visited, if it is then I will be surprised! All I know is that we won't be using the Oceanis again.

4. Re: Oceanis rooms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:22 pm, November 09, 2013
Edited: 5:22 pm, November 09, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
18,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oceanis rooms

I hope the OP was asking in preparation for a holiday next year, and sees your report, for which many thanks, Hedgefud2. That does sound pretty bad - and also as though the new owner (if there is a new owner) hasn't done much if anything to update/improve Maria's Rooms. I said that I had no personal experience of Oceanis rooms, only of the location, and posted my surmise as no-one else had replied, so I'm glad you've clarified.

I'm quite surprised, actually, as I've stayed in five or six places in Sougia and have visited others, and have never come across a bad one - but exceptions are always possible.

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oceanis rooms

Hello Alabastron,

I have stayed in Sougia before, and I was pleased with the previous rooms. Just around the corner from the Raki bar by the way. The review makes me sound a bit harsh, but the reality is that I have, like you, been to Crete many times and stayed in a lot of places (including bus shelters and churches) I think that, as is the case in many countries, there are occasions when the room and it's price don't match up to the blerb on a site. Most of the time I just turn up and see what happens, but this time I was with my wife and so we decided to book ahead. We were asked to pay 45 euros a night for the room, and it wasn't worth it. I usually go 'out of season' , and normally pay around 25 or 30 euros depending on length of stay.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oceanis rooms

Don't worry, Hedgefud2: your report didn't sound harsh. You know Crete, and know the difference between good and bad accommodation. I'm glad you posted.

Now I'm wondering where you stayed in a bus shelter!

Edited: 5:00 am, November 10, 2013
Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oceanis rooms

Alabastron,

Re the bus shelter...

My friend and I walked across Crete from east to west, loosely following the E4 path, which is very difficult/impossible to do in some places. Many places, such as Thripti and other high villages, had no rooms available, so we either slept outside or in empty buildings. Comfortable enough with the right gear....and a couple of rakis! In many places we were treated to the typical Cretan generosity, and we were offered places in cafenios, on sofas and in empty houses. We were fortunate enough to avoid rain when we did this, which was April/May 2011. Fantastic island, wonderful people, great adventure.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oceanis rooms

That is fantastic! Well done. A friend of mine did it several years ago and had a bit of trouble on the Agia Roumeli-Sougia section: otherwise it was mostly plain sailing. Liberal helpings of raki helped him too, of course.

Edited: 6:09 am, November 11, 2013
Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oceanis rooms

Hello Alabastron,

Just a guess......Is your friend someone who has a book shop, who now lives in Crete ? I am curious to know if we have a mutual friend.

That south coast section is notorious. The views from the cliff paths are stunning.

Get answers to your questions about Sougia