We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it always cloudy in Sougia?

Level Contributor
736 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is it always cloudy in Sougia?

A bit of a daft question but here goes.

My neighbour is thinking of staying in Sougia in early september.

A lot of the photographs they have seen shows Sougia with cloudy skies, deep shadow or rain. They are worried it has a wetter microclimate as it is so close to the white mountains.

They also wish to know if it is in a windy or sheltered setting as Paleochora was too windy last July and that is fairy close by.

Does Sougia have limited sunlight because of the high hills on both sides?

I have tried to put their mind at rest regarding rain, but I have no idea if it is calm like Chora Sfakion or windy like Paleochora or Plakias. I also do not know if it is too shaded by the surrounding steep valley sides or sunny all day long like Paleochora.

Any regular visitors or locals that can put their mind at rest?

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,641 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it always cloudy in Sougia?

I can.

I know Sougia very well, having stayed there eight or nine times in different months. I've had rain there in May and in late September, as I have in Loutro and in various other places: it does rain in Crete! But mostly I've had lovely weather, and in early September your neighbour would be unlucky to have anything but a succession of settled, sunny days.

And it will be sunny all day long. The "high hills" are not that high, and they aren't that close. (Even Loutro, which IS surrounded by nearby high hills on all sides, is sunny all day!) In early September the sun will still be high overhead for most of the day.

Sougia is a bay, and is relatively sheltered. It can be windy depending on where the wind is coming from (Crete is a windy island!) but it's much less windy than Paleochora, which, being out on a narrow peninsula, is open to the winds on all sides and is famous for being the windiest place in Crete.

Here is a link to a website about Sougia, the most informative and detailed that I know:

Please feel free to ask any more questions about Sougia, and I'll be happy to answer them.

Edited: 6:11 pm, March 02, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Crete, Greece
Devon, UK
Level Contributor
874 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it always cloudy in Sougia?

We were there in September once and had hot sun all day (and this in a holiday that included some awful weather). No problem at all with overhanging hills or cliffs. This doesn't mean it won't ever be cloudy, but the location itself isn't a cloudy or shaded one.

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it always cloudy in Sougia?

been there sun and cloud and once a shower but on the whole never had a bad day in sougia. and if it does rain there are loads of places to shelter no one controls the weather thank goodness so you take your chances but sure you will be fine and in good company whilst there

Edited: 3:29 pm, March 07, 2013
4. Re: Is it always cloudy in Sougia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 am, August 09, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Sougia