We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sougia bus time to Xyloskalo

Krasnoyarsk, Russia
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Sougia bus time to Xyloskalo

My wife and I will be arriving in Crete the 27th of June and staying till the 11th of July. We're thinking of renting a car to travel around the island. One thing we want to do is the Samaria Gorge. I'm thinking of leaving Hersonissos early in the morning and driving to Sougia, then catching the morning bus to Xyloskalo, do the walk, catch the ferry back to Sougia and then drive back to Hersonissos in the evening (late, I know). What time does the bus leave Sougia? Also, would their be any people interested in doing the trip with us to cut down on costs? We're thinking of doing a day trip as well to Chania/ Rethymnon area that same week (1st week of July perhaps) Thanks for any advice!

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,595 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sougia bus time to Xyloskalo

This is the craziest idea I have ever heard - but I suspect you have no idea how large Crete is.

The question isn't how long the Sougia-Xyloscala takes but how long it takes you to drive from Hersonissos to Sougia (a good 4 hours).

The daily bus from Sougia leaves at 7 am. You would need to drive through the night to get there in time, and then, after a long, tiring walking day, drive back to Hersonissos. You'd have been awake and on the go for almost 24 hours. Does that sound like a recipe for enjoying one of the most wonderful walks in Crete?

Don't even think about it. You have two weeks in Crete. If you are staying in the east and want to walk the Samaria Gorge from Sougia, go to Sougia and spend the night there. Do the walk the following day, and ideally spend another night there, and drive back to Hersonissos the next day. If you don't want to take two nights out of your paid-for Hersonissos accommodation, then just stay one night and drive back after the walk. But don't, please don't, try to do the entire journey in one day. It really is crazy.

But if you are absolutely determined to to the walk in a single day, you should consider doing it from Chania, which will halve your morning driving time. The Chania-Omalos bus leaves at 7.45 - there used to be more than one, but the schedule is showing only this one. Perhaps there will be more when you're there.

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

From Agia Roumeli, where the gorge ends, you'd return by ferry to Chora Sfakion; then by bus to Chania. The return journey time will be much the same, four hours or so, and you'll get "home" just as late, but at least you can snooze on the bus for half of it. But it's still an endlessly long day, and if you want to enjoy the walk I can only try to discourage you.

However you decide to do the trip, you must check before you leave Hersonissos to see whether the gorge is open and the ferries are running. In stormy weather, which isn't always evident up north, the sea may be too rough for the ferries and when they don't run the gorge has to be closed. Bad weather in the gorge can also close it. There isn't much likelihood of this in July, but do check before you go.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,595 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sougia bus time to Xyloskalo

Edit:

There is also the option of doing a tour: there will be one from Hersonissos. The day will be just as long but maybe not quite as tiring, since someone else will be doing the driving and someone else is responsible for getting you there and back.

If you do a tour, the company will know if the gorge is closed, and may take you somewhere else if it is, possibly the Imbros Gorge. But if you are driving, you'll have to find out for yourself.

Samaria Gorge National Park Management Body

Telephone: +30 2821045570

Krasnoyarsk, Russia
Level Contributor
5 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sougia bus time to Xyloskalo

Thanks for the advice. I knew it was a bit crazy but was looking at various options both financially and as far as independence (for example just staying a night in the west) We are also thinking about tours as well. Price wise a bit more but comfort wise a better deal. Just looking at all options. We're still interested in doing some day trips by car that don't require schedules.

Weesp, The...
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sougia bus time to Xyloskalo

Do it the easy way ! Stay 1 night in Rethymno or Chania. Book from Rethymno the organiszed program, cost 32,00 euro with guid or book the local buss from Chania, leaving 7.30- 8.30 from the bus station. Than after take the bus from Chora Sfakion or return with the organized coach excursion to Chania or Rethymno. As I say so many times to guest here on Crete, all excursions you can do with a rental car, if you wish, but only Samaria you do it better with an organized program or local busses.

Very important is also an early start , during midday temepratures in the gorge can be up from 40 celsius. Sahara temperatures !

SOUTHAMPTON
Level Contributor
3 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sougia bus time to Xyloskalo

I won't be arriving in Chania in time for the 14.00 bus to Sougia : is there only one bus there? If not, it will have to be a taxi. so what approx.might the fare be, Chania centre or Chania airport to Sougia?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
12,272 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sougia bus time to Xyloskalo

Looks like it will be a bit less than €100 from Chania centre, or a bit more than €100 from the airport (these are 2010 fares):

…blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/taxi-fares-in-chania…

It might be better to book a night in Chania, have a good look round, and get the bus the next day - or hire a car of course.

7. Re: Sougia bus time to Xyloskalo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, November 18, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sougia