We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Son going to school in Richmond

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Son going to school in Richmond

Our son will be attending Richmond International U this coming fall semister. He's never been away from home and its our first child "going away" to college (the other chose community college in our home state of New Jersey). We have a qazillion questions. We will be taking him there sometime towards the end of August.

1. How is the Richmond Gate Hotel compare to Richmond Hill Hotel. They seem about the same but I think I kinda like the Gate better.

2. Where can we purchase necessities for his dorm room (i.e. sheets, reading lamp, coffee mugs, electric tea pot, etc) without breaking the bank (i.e. wal-mart, k-mart, dollar store, etc.)

3. Will his electronic equipment work in England with an adapter? (i.e. Cell charger, laptop, alarm clock, etc.) Or are we going to have to purchase new once we get there?

4. Do you think a bike is safe (on the roads) in that neighborhood to ride? It certainly looks like a great area to cycle on the streets and park (unlike Manhattan where there are way toooo many cars and taxi's)

5. Does anyone know if the dorms have small refrigerators in them or a common one on each floor? What would be the closest grocery store to p/u some goodies for him?

6. Can we gain access to the dorms prior to "move-in" day to assess what he will need?

I think that's it for now...i'm sure i'll think of more. Already did...when is the best time to book flights from the States to UK? Right now they are WAY TOO HIGH and i know i've seen airfares for WAY less than 500 from time to time (right now they are bet. 800-1000 USD, Ouch). THANKS!!!

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond-upon-Thames, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Son going to school in Richmond

There is also Bar Estilo on the river. Although right on the river at Richmond Bridge there is no view.

Not sure how long you are planning on staying here for but if short term I had the in-laws out here and paid £1,200 per week for a 2 bedroom house. Can PM you the details if you like. Once you are here (if longer then 2/3 weeks) you can search for accommodation for you son then. It took us 2 weeks to find our own place here and get settled in.

It will be only a 10 minute walk to the college and extremely affordable. We get a newspaper (real estate) here for regular (monthly) updates on property to let and buy. Happy to check this out for you.

Cell phones you can just get it from here otherwise if only to chat to your son why not just sign up to Skype (www.skype.com) and you can chat free. I speak to my family in Germany, US, Australia, NZ all free. I have skype on both cell phone and computer at home.

<<He has a blackberry>> just need a sim card then.

<<Does the UK have Skype.com?>>

Yep… : D

I too love photography – as if you can’t tell : D and always take photo’s around here. So anything you want a snap shot of PM me and I am sure I will already have it on file : D

You guys would love Kew Gardens. I can (and have) spents days on end there.

Not sure if you have seen the photo's on the website for Kew Gardens but just click on the Gardens link on the left side.

Also Richmond Park with the Deers amongst many other things is beautiful.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Son going to school in Richmond

Not sure if you found these ones but these are just randoms of Richmond and Richmond Hill.

http://k1w1brad.com/Richmond.htm

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Son going to school in Richmond

Thanks again Brad. "We" are only going for 1 week, just to "drop" him at school and shop for things for his dorm (oppose to bringing things w/us from the US). Prob. Aug. 28 thru Sept. 4, residence move in day is the 31st and classes start on the 6th.

Booking.com is a pretty good site to see all the places in and around Richmond. I'm getting a great feel of that whole area. Already in love with Red Cow Inn and Dukes Head Inn. Justy started looking in Kew and Kensington but really want to stay in Richmond :) and really want to not pay more than 1,000 USD for the week (which I AM FINDING).

I did see those pics Brad...checked out your whole website, hee hee. Ironically you look very similar to our son (too funny)

Edited: 9:18 am, May 08, 2010
SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Son going to school in Richmond

LOL...

For that amount PCM (per calendar month) you can check out Twickenham (or East Twickenham which is pretty much on Richmond Bridge), Sheen, Kew. And if cycling it'll only be about 5/10 min cycle to uni. And at a much cheaper rate. In order of price from most expensive to cheapest:

Richmond Hill

Richmond

Kew

East Twickenham

Twickenham

Ham

Barnes

Sheen

St Margarets

Edited: 9:28 am, May 08, 2010
Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Son going to school in Richmond

Who has access to the Richmond Athletic Field? I see theres a pool and tennis courts. Is it a membership type thing?

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Son going to school in Richmond

You're best off contacting them directly.

http://www.the-raa.co.uk/

But if wanting to run or kick a ball around there are plenty of park land to do this.

What is it your son thinking of doing?

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Son going to school in Richmond

you mean at the park??? He plays tennis and is on the tennis team now in school, also love to swim, we live 2 blocks from the atlantic ocean and i'm sure he's gonna miss that terribly!

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Son going to school in Richmond

ah ok, tennis he can play for free at a number of places and a few of those courts have to be pre-booked. Especially when Wimbledon is on : (

Will let you know which ones those are and will let you know which ones are free (walk on) via PM.

Swimming has to be paid for unfortunately. There is Pools on the Parks in RIchmond which the pools are average. But will check out from my neighbour who also swims at where she goes to.

I'm the same. I grew up surfing, live on the beach and well here theres nothing. But anyways.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Son going to school in Richmond

Hiya, I think everyone has answered all your questions so I would liek to make a few suggestions too. Get insurance for this Bike. An absolute must. That way even if i does ever get stolen its covered. You can get all sort of electric adapters from maplins I think the closest one is in hammersmith on kings street w6. I always thought the richmond hill hotel & richmond gate hotel where rather expensive so I would suggest the budget hotels like premier travel inn and travel lodge, and holiday inn in brentford. They are simply a bus ride away. You can also find pound stores in ealing. From richmond you would take a 65 bus which would take you all the way into ealing broadway and I assure you will find lots more bargain their compared to richmond. best of luck.

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Son going to school in Richmond

Richmond Gate Hotel has been booked. They arrive this week...

Chose to stay there due to the college being located right nearby for their son : )