We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed - St. Breward trip, cottage and travel advice

Garden City...
2 posts
Save Topic
Help needed - St. Breward trip, cottage and travel advice

My husband and I will be flying to London on Thursday evening, April 30th, and plan to take a train to Cornwall immediately upon arrival. We would like to rent a car in the area of St. Breward and stay in a self-catering cottage in the same area. This is the trip of a life time for me, and I would love advice on how practical my travel plans are.

My 3rd great grandmother and her family used to own the Inn at St. Breward in the early 1800s. My ancestors are buried in the village churchyard. I want to roam the area, see the moors and possibly drive to the coast, and just soak in the area where my ancestors lived. My husband loves bicycling, so his enjoyment would be cycling around the moors and barbecuing in the evenings. We both want to take in the local pubs and just have a relaxing and not-too-expensive 4-5 days.

I have wanted to make this trip for over 40 years, and these travel plans have become a bit overwhelming for me. I have looked at dozens of possible cottages and still haven't made arrangements. Many only allow 7 day bookings, so that has limited my choice, plus my husband is 6'5" tall and won't fit in a cottage with a low ceiling or small 4-poster bed. We would be staying at the cottage from May 1st to May 5th.

I welcome advice from anyone about where to stay, what sites I should be sure to visit, and the best way to get to Cornwall from Heathrow airport. We assumed the train would be best, since it will be the middle of the night in US time when we arrive, so we may not do well driving the unknown terrain.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,573 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed - St. Breward trip, cottage and travel advice

If you could face the drive, I think renting a car at Heathrow would be the easiest for you. That way you don't have to get intoLondon, wait around for train, get off at Bodmin Parkway which is in the middle of nowhere (I often look for the tumbleweed), get a taxi into Bodmin and pick up a hire car. The drive from Heathrow isn't hard, just a bit long, as you are on motorway not winding country roads as you will be around St Breward.

Not sure about the cottages though, but have you thought of looking at a hotel?

You have picked the right place for cycling, lots of lovely places in easy reach.

I have had good experience eating at the St Breward Inn, and the people there seem nice, I am sure they will give you a warm welcome. Have you thoguth of contacting them about your trip?

Hope you have a lovely time

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed - St. Breward trip, cottage and travel advice

Hi

I presume you will be arriving at Heathrow fairly early in the morning UK time?

Your options are,hire car from airport as suggested above.

Rail link from airport to London Paddington where you can get train to Cornwall easily.

If you take the train to Bodmin Parkway,you can get a taxi to Bodmin where there are rental companies,or you may be able to book a rental car in advance to meet you at Bodmin Parkway station. I can look into it if you wish.

Other option is airport coach link to Gatwick airport,where you can get a flight to Newquay,then pick up a rental car for a 30-40min drive to St Breward

Hope this helps for a start.

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed - St. Breward trip, cottage and travel advice

You could try this cottage - it is very popular but beautifully set next to the river and the Camel Trail

bridgepoolcottage.com/aboutbridgepool.html

We have also stayed here -

http://www.barnfarmholidays.co.uk/linhay.htm

in the linhay itself which is a converted barn with no low ceilings. Its on a working farm with very nice owners (farmer Jim!) who will happily let you wander around his fields, meet the animals, fish and he even took my husband clay pigeon shooting also! Its not in St Breward but is a short drive away.

Braunton, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed - St. Breward trip, cottage and travel advice

I would second the advice to hire a car at the airport and coming straight down. I flew into London Heathrow yesterday after a flight from Los Angeles and drove straight down to Cornwall without a stop. It really was no problem. It is a straightforward trip but you may wish to add on a satellite navigation system just to give you extra peace of mind as the roads will be unfamiliar to you.

5. Re: Help needed - St. Breward trip, cottage and travel advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, October 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bodmin