We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Best way to see the Mourne Mountains

Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
The Best way to see the Mourne Mountains

I am travelling from Dublin to Downpatrick shortly and I want to see the Mourne Mountains on the way. What is the best road to take, for the scenery?Or what is a must see. I dont mind small detours etc,. but I dont have a whole lot of time. Many thanks.

Groomsport, United...
Level Contributor
1,574 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Best way to see the Mourne Mountains

haven't been here long enough to know much about routes, but Newcastle seems a nice place with stunning backdrop. Looking at the map there is a coastal road that takes you around to Newry

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,100 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Best way to see the Mourne Mountains

To see the best I would recommend: From Newry go to Warrenpoint, then Rostrevor. There is a forest drive if you have time. Then to Hilltown and from there turn right and follow signs to Spelga Dam. Turn left after the dam and right after Fofanny Dam. Cross over Trassey Bridge, turn right, pass Tollymore Forest then right again and into Newcastle where "The Mountains of Mourne roll down to the sea".

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Best way to see the Mourne Mountains

i agree with Drumlough.Newry-Warrenpoint-Rostrevor-Kilkeel & across the mountains to Rathfriland/Hilltown or from Kilkeel head for Annalong,Newcastle & then on to Downpatrick.My favourite part of this journey is from Newry out to Kilkeel the view across Carlingford Lough is stunning.The lough on one side & the beautiful Mournes on the other.We have done both of these routes many times & NEVER tire of it.

And as the song says "where the mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea" & they really do !

Enjoy

Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Best way to see the Mourne Mountains

Thanks to all for the advice. I have checked the map and planned my trip accordingly.

5. Re: The Best way to see the Mourne Mountains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 01, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Bangor
More Bangor Topics