We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sim card

melbourne
Level Contributor
235 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
sim card

we are flying into edinburgh (from Ireland), then driving straight to stirling & onto Balloch for the night.

We have an unlocked Australian Nokia 6500 slide mobile & would like to purchased a sim card for our phone which we could use whilst driving around Scotland.

Which sim card should we purchase which would give us good coverage. We want to be able to make local calls, send texts & have our kids call us from Aust?

Also where can we purchase this?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sim card

I was in UK and Scotland last October and purchased a Lebara SIM for 20GBP, which included 10GBP credit. Picked this up at Heathrow but you can get at Car Phone Warehouses and most other shops. This fitted my Nokia and allowed me to call back to Australia anytime for around 1p per minute. Local calls within UK & Scotland were about 25p per minute. I probably made a dozen 15 - 20 minute calls back to Aus and several long UK local calls and ended up with credit still on the phone when I left UK. Just check that the rates have not changed significantly when you buy.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sim card

In terms of network coverage - the 5 main networks in the UK are: O2, Vodafone, Orange, T-mobile, 3.

In Scotland, O2 and Vodafone have by far the best coverage. There are patches of the highlands and Islands which are still "black spots" where there is no signal, but these are becoming fewer and further between. Orange/T-mobile/3 are not that well catered for in the western highlands, and I would avoid these if you are planning to visit more remote areas.

Abs :)

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
872 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sim card

Lebara cards can be picked up in many places from small stores, to phone shops and supermarkets. As they use the Vodafone network the coverage will be generally good. (but not guaranteed anywhere)

melbourne
Level Contributor
235 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sim card

Thanks heaps to all of you. That really helps.

5. Re: sim card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:07 pm, June 07, 2013