We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free Car Parking in Public Car Parks

Henley, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Free Car Parking in Public Car Parks

Now that the opening of the refurbished Cowdray Park Ruins is imminent (April 2007) Chichester District Council have decided to introduce charges to North St Car Par (unless they can be persuaded otherwise) and to the Grange Car Park in an attempt to manage the available space. Although there is plenty of suitable areas close to the Ruins on the Cowdray Estate for temporary or seasonal parking for visitors - April-September - Midhurst's Unique Selling Proposition - Free Parking - is under threat as never before inspite of Gosport, similarly afflicted - getting its Free Parking back again this week, so we understand, because of the blight which ensued after this unwise and unfair edict.

Midhurst's Water Meadows, eulogised by H.G. Wells, is being viewed as a suitable space for the expansion of North St Car Park and so is the area butting up against the Angel Hotel Garden. Most residents are appalled by this idea as are regular visitors to the Town.

We have a finite amount of space for car parking in Midhurst without destroying the ambience and the balance between Town and Park which is unique.

For shops and businesses, pubs and restaurants to survive we need to keep most of our precious parking spaces for those visitors which have an enduring interest in or committment to the Town. This is the issue above any other this Christmas (2006) which is giving residents and visitors anxious moments.

Henley, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free Car Parking in Public Car Parks

Making a reply to my own post a year later may seem odd to some people; but I would like to update the position re car parking in Midhurst.

Fortunately, this is till FREE - but only just and 'by the grace of god'. The Town mounted a petitition - circa 3500 names I seem to remember - anf Chichester County Council relented - for the time being!

As Midhurst is primarily a leisure Town, a place where you can chill out and enjoy outdoor pursuits or sit and watch the world go by, FREE parking is essential. It's not the cost - although this is a factor. It's the sheer relief of not having to think about feeding the wretched parking meter, and being able to relax and 'look and listen, something most of us have almost forgotten how to do.

More and more cyclists and mountain bikers are coming to he Town and special events held here. Walkers - or should I say hikers - come in droves.

Most folk don't yet realise the Cowdray Estate has granted a permissive right to public access in the grassy area immediately inside the main park entrance at North Mill, including the river bank.

Locals will know the beach here from which the rafts are launched in the wonderful annual Rother Raft Race - long may it continue as a truly memorable family day-out with a strong community feel.

So, one year on I'm celebrating a precious 12 months of FREE car parking and hope and pray it continues.

2. Re: Free Car Parking in Public Car Parks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, September 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Midhurst