We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to get a really good meal in Southport?

Which Southport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Where to get a really good meal in Southport?

Hi folks ,

On our hols in Southport next week and looking for suggestions for a really good well cooked meal out. (And preferably with a good ale as well).

We are staying in the Premier Inn,Marine Parade and have tried all the eating establishments on Ocean Plaza on previous visits.

Don't mind splashing out a bit for a really good filling meal that has been freshly cooked (and not just microwaved from packets).

We will have our 15 yr old with us, so will need somewhere where he is allowed in as well.

Will be very grateful for any recommendations :)

Cheers folks

St. Albans, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Where to get a really good meal in Southport?

yes it lovely and very good food

Scarisbrick...
Level Contributor
1 post
163 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Where to get a really good meal in Southport?

Its a little late to reply but it sounds like a re-visit might be on the cards so here is my list. I love good food and hubby loves real ale so we have tried most places in Southport.

Bold - reasonable food, Timothy Taylor Landlord is often served if not that then they have Hobgoblin or some other ales.

Some mock Wetherspoons but hubby says the ales are good and very cheap, I really like the chilli they serve there so if its hubby's turn to choose, he might choose here!

Ronnies bar is difficult to find if you are not a local but worth looking out, massive portions, good food, friendly staff but can't remember if they serve real ale (not been for ages so not sure if still open).

Hogtons near the little theatre serves very good food but usually only one or two ales, hubby was disappointed last time as they had a pump for landlord but had sold out.

Bistro 21 serves the best food that I have tried in Southport, utterly delicious but no real ales (bit pricey but very much worth it).

Chez Moi - good food, don't know about the ales.

Aubergine - ditto

The Forge - ditto

The office - hidden down a side street but excellent food

Swan chippy should get a mention - excellent steak pie (but it is just a chippy to eat in)

The Mexican is good but can't remember what it is called.

If you fancy moving outside of town a little, Master McGraths in Scarisbrick has the best food in the area for my mind and serves Bombardier

the Richmond food is usually quite good and serves a couple of ales (Holts I think)

The Chinese just past Kew shops is excellent (fabulous food and great friendly staff)

The barking frog has had a lot of mentions, not on my list as I got served lumpy mash (unacceptable in a supposedly good restaurant in my books).

That should keep you going for a while! Enjoy!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Where to get a really good meal in Southport?

Suecharnock

I don't know when you were last in Southport but ...

Ronnie's closed down at least 2 years ago

By Aubergine I assume you mean Auberge

The Mexican is called Fuego's

The Barking Frog is no longer in business

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Where to get a really good meal in Southport?

Sorry, too late to edit above post ...

Barking Frog is still open but Sainsbury's are supposed to be moving into its premises. See southportvisiter.co.uk/news/southport-news/s…

Edited: 4:48 am, August 17, 2014
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,102 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Where to get a really good meal in Southport?

Sept 14.. visit..

The Windmill doesn't do food on a Wednesday so was invited along to -

Thatch & Thistle.. wouldn't get a mention over the past 10 years but the place has new management under Inglenook Inn's and if you like decent central stores offerings you can do worse in town.. food was good and and I didn't have to ask what was available rather than whats on the menu..

That was Wednesday.. Thursday was the Windmill..no need to plug the best pub grub in town.

Friday.. The Bold Arms in Churchtown.. should have known when I couldn't get the van on the car park it was busy.. OK told 20 minutes wait for food, that's acceptable but when 20 turns out to be 50 its not great? neither was the food..

Saturday ate at the Sandbrook in Rochdale and Sunday on the Liverpool Belfast ferry going home.. both better than the Bold!

36. Re: Where to get a really good meal in Southport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 am, October 04, 2015