We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tenby & Kiln Park review - mainly food

oldham
Level Contributor
309 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Tenby & Kiln Park review - mainly food

12 of us - 6 adults, 6 kids - just got back from 4 nights at Penally Court.

We used to go every year as kids but haven't been for maybe 8 yrs +.

We went back as my father, who's from Pembroke, died recently & we wanted to scatter his ashes there & see visit his/our old haunts & friends.

Firstly, Penally Court isn't quite as close to Kiln Park as billed. Fine for us as we enjoy a nice brisk walk but bear this in mind if you don't.

There was no evening bus to Kiln Park but free taxi's instead which was even better. These you can ring at any time and they will pick up and drop off at the door of your caravan.

Kiln Park has changed massively.

Last time we went there was the Pembroke Room, Big Top/Rainbow Room, Tudor Room etc..

Now the Pembroke Room has been replaced by a Mash & Barrell pub and the Big Top is now the Live Lounge. They've combined the adult & kids entertainment into this one room.

The outdoor pool is still there with inflatables next to it and the indoor pool is quite small with a slide for kids only.

The arcade is still good if you like arcades.

We'd go back to Kiln Park but prefered the way it used to be. A return to more traditional quizzes, pool competitions etc would be great.

First day we arrived at around 11 and has a wander rould the centre of Tenby and onto North Beach for an hour. The first thing that struck us about Tenby was how all the bars coming up from the harbour now have tables on the street which is great. These disappear at (i think?) 5pm when the streets are no longer pedestrianised.

All the pubs seem huge and most have a decent beer selection if you like a bit more variety than the usual Carling & John Smiths - San Miguel, Grolsch, Coors Light, Peroni, many local ales widely available.

First day we ate lunch in the Buccaneer. Moules Mariniere, other seafood options, salads and the standard fayre - all very nice for the money, friendly staff.

In the evening, tired from the journey, we decided to eat at The Paddock in Penally, one of our favourite pub/restaurants from years gone by, however, it is closed on a Monday.

So we decided to eat in the Mash & Barrel on Kiln Park.

I normally like to avoid this kind of place and support local businesses but I must say the food in here is excellent! Piri Piri Chicken, Ploughmans Salad, Fish & Chips & Steaks all great but all eclipsed by their amazing Steak & Guiness Pie!

Tuesday we headed to Manorbier & to Pembroke.

If you're visiting Manorbier Castle factor in half an hour to also have a coffee or tea sat out in the main grounds of the castle.

We didn't stop but there were some interesting looking pubs and restaurants in the village (next time).

In Pembroke we ate at the Watermans Inn sat on some decking above the castle moat. Wonderfully friendly service, stunning location, Peroni on tap and very nice food - Moules Mariniere good, salads, sandwichs too.

This evening The Paddock in Penally was open. We were later than we’d hoped to be and were worried about getting a table outside as used to be very busy in years gone by, however, all the tables were free. It soon became apparent why.

Some of our party wanted wine to drink so I asked for the wine list to be told it was at the back of the menu but it wasn’t. The lady behind the bar then kindly brought out the bottles, there was a choice of 3 or 4 bog standard whites all at £9.95. Disappointed as I was expecting more of a selection but ordered one anyway. When I went and sat down and looked at another menu this one DID have a wine list with several better options! The cheap bottle was already open by now though.

Onto the food – the menu had a steak pie but didn’t say whether it was shortcrust or puff pastry. Two of us wanted this if it was shortcrust as they don’t like puff pastry. Not a problem if it was puff pastry as they’d just order something else. So I ask the same girl at the bar what type of pastry it is as they don’t want puff pastry. She assured me it definitely isn’t puff pastry. 10 minutes later out came 2 pies topped with the puffiest puff pastry you’ve ever seen! One of us reluctantly ate it the other swapped it for something else. The chicken was dry & the steaks poor, poor quality for £14.95 and one was medium when it should have been rare. I took this back to be greeted with rolling eyes so just sat back down and ate it. Everything else bar the kids fish fingers was poor also. When the waitress came to clear the table and asked if everything was ok we explained it hadn’t been to be greeted with the reply “well nobody else complains”!!!

We appreciate restaurants have the odd bad day & simply saying “sorry” & showing a tiny bit of interest in what was actually wrong would have gone a long, long way in such a situation.

Alas, the customer service was somehow even worse than the food.

Gordon Ramsay could have a field day here!

Gutted because we’ve had many, many wonderful meals here over the years.

The next day we had battered sausages and chips from the ever reliable Fecci’s in the centre of Tenby. This place & the food hasn’t changed a bit.

For our evening meal we went to the Coach & Horses, the oldest pub in Tenby where a drunk Dylan Thomas once left his manuscript of Under Milk Wood in a barstool!

Lovely oak beamed olde worlde décor inside and a small but comfortable beer garden at the back.

I has surf & surf which is seabass and prawns, the steak was good, fish and chips too – everyone was happy. My wife went for one of their Thai dishes (they have a Thai menu in addition to the standard menu) to a sharp intake of breath from me. We love Thai food & I am a dab hand at it too (if I do say so myself) & we have a rule where we stick to Thai restaurants for Thai food, Indian for Indian etc.. which has served us well over the years and been vindicated on the rare occasions we’ve broken it, however, this was the real deal! Delicious.

Thursday was our final day and we ate at another old favourite - The Parsonage in St Florence. All the food was fantastic. I ordered seafood platter with lobster, squid, prawns, clams & mussels. The clams and mussels came in a clay pot with lid. These were way overcooked so I took them back to explain. In stark contrast to The Paddock he was all apologies and brought out a replacement in around 5 minutes which were cooked to perfection. The service was great despite the fact it seemed to be on guy doing everything on his own! He may even have been doing the cooking!

We highly recommend this place.

Mash & Barrel again on our final night.

On our way home we stopped at the Woodridge in Wooden for lunch. This place used to have a giant dinosaur slide which has unfortunately now gone but it still has it’s mini arcade and a mini motorised race track for the kids. They no longer do their famous 24oz (?) T Bone Steak (which was as much a relief as a disappointment to be fair!). That said, the food was great and very reasonably priced. The dressed crab salad was good, as were the steak and ale pie, the curry & the salads.

All in all we had a great break, gave my dad a send off he would have approved of and we will definitely be back on a regular basis again.

oldham
Level Contributor
309 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tenby & Kiln Park review - mainly food

Tripadvisor don't give you long to edit your spelling mistakes do they!

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,201 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tenby & Kiln Park review - mainly food

think you have done a wonderful review,

forget the paddock, glad you enjoyed yourselves

Tenby, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tenby & Kiln Park review - mainly food

just thought you might like to no, the paddock and the coach and horse's are owned and run by the same people. :-)

4. Re: Tenby & Kiln Park review - mainly food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, October 08, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Tenby
Recent Conversations