We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ilfracombe - Good Family Holiday Destination?

Sandhurst, England
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ilfracombe - Good Family Holiday Destination?

We're planning on staying in a self catering cottage in Ilfracombe for our next summer vacation. Would you recommend the town for families? Is it safe? Are there good amusements? Are the pubs children (and dog) friendly? Any tips would be gratefully received.

High Bickington...
Level Contributor
11 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ilfracombe - Good Family Holiday Destination?

Hi, I wouldnt recommend Ilfracombe for you to go to. Its empty, looking very depressing and everyone that goes there gives you the umm not what it used to be expression!

If you are looking for somewhere for the family, amusements and stuff I think South Devon can probably offer more.

We live and rent cottages in North Devon and it is lovely, especially if your family want to surf! But with your requirements maybe Torquay or Brixham area could be better? Or why not try Bude in North Cornwall.

Cheers Kate

Sandhurst, England
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ilfracombe - Good Family Holiday Destination?

Hi Kate, thanks for this reply!

north devon
Level Contributor
3 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ilfracombe - Good Family Holiday Destination?

Well i too live and run accommodation in Ilfracombe.It is a great place to base yourself as it is near to wonderful beaches and coastal walks.I own two dogs and find most places accommodating and there are no shortage of walks.The tunnels beaches are great for children but not dogs and all the beaches have dog friendly areas.

Having just returned from a weekend in South Devon ,i can say it is great but over priced and not as charming.Have a great holiday.

Sandhurst, England
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ilfracombe - Good Family Holiday Destination?

That's good to hear that most beaches have dog friendly areas. So have you got any recommendations on dog friendly pubs in and around the area (with great food, of course!). Thanks for your reply to my original post!

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ilfracombe - Good Family Holiday Destination?

I am off to Ilfracombe next weekend for a short break in a self catering cottage with my husband and our dog. I too would be grateful for any info relating dog friendly pubs.

Milan
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ilfracombe - Good Family Holiday Destination?

Hi, so you will definetly recommend me the North Devon ? I do not like crouded places , I like nature and wild places.;would you recommend me , my husband and our child (9 years) to spend our next holiday in August to Ilfrancombe or not ??

sorry for my english but I do not want to check into dictionary if the words are correct.

Please give me a suggestion.

Cheers

Raffaella

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ilfracombe - Good Family Holiday Destination?

To answer your specific points. Virtually all pubs are dog friendly (assuming your dog is!) Amusing children depends on the child. Within 10 minutes drive, you can be on a 3 mile long sandy beach, or thousands of square miles of moorland in the other direction. Tunnels Beach within the town itself has an indoor children's play area, and a tidal pool on the beach for safe swimming. There's an aquarium within the town, and a number of 'theme park' type attractions within 10 miles. In the summer season, the Landmark Theatre offers a number of family shows. If you want to splash out and leave the dog at home, Ilfracombe has a much better selection of better quality restaurants than you'd expect, easily 'beating' the nearby 'main' town of Barnstaple. If your chalet is on one of the many nearby 'holiday camps', they all offer family entertainment in the evenings, and many of the larger ones will offer 'kids club' type facilities to allow you to relax for a bit. Hope this helps.

8. Re: Ilfracombe - Good Family Holiday Destination?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 14, 2009