We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Isle of Man

Panama City Beach...
4 posts
Save Topic
Travel to Isle of Man

I will be traveling from Heidelberg, Germany to the Isle of Man. Plan to ride my R 1200 R to Calais, catch a ferry to Dover. Ride to Liverpool and catch a ferry to Douglas. I already have a reservation. After the TT I will ride to Le Mans for the 24 Hour race. I am interested in advice on the most interesting routes and whether others will be making a similar ride prior to the TT and Le Mans.

London
Level Contributor
9,115 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Isle of Man

How much time are you allowing for the ride from Dover to Liverpool. The direct route is along some of the most congested motorways in Europe. However, picking a route that avoids those motorways will need much more time - hence the question. How long have you allocated?

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
796 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Isle of Man

Another option may be considering the overnight ferry from Rotterdam to Hull and then drive over to Liverpool (or Heysham) and catch the ferry to the IOM from there. I live about 45 minutes from Heysham and whenever I drive to Austria I always use the Hull crossing. It may be more expensive than the Calais crossing, but it involves considerably less driving and as the ferry is overnight it avoids the need for a hotel stay going via the South of England.

Panama City Beach...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Isle of Man

Thanks for the valuable information. I can plan whatever time I need so I would be very interested in missing the heavy traffic. Any suggestions on a route would be very much appreciated. Russ

Panama City Beach...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Isle of Man

Thanks. I just checked the route and it seems much better than I planned from Heidelberg to Calais. Going back, I will be attending the 24 Hour race in Le Mans so I need to find a better departure point in England and arrival point in France.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,885 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Isle of Man

You would be best catching a ferry from the south coast of England to Caen or Cherbourg.

Someone should be able to point you in the right direction as to which the best port is to depart from (possibly Portsmouth).

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,885 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Isle of Man

P.S. My last post is info for your trip to Le Mans.

London
Level Contributor
9,115 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Isle of Man

For the onward ride to Le Mans, the most convenient ferry route is the Brittany Ferries service from Portsmouth to Caen (really to Ouisterham).

The direct ride from Liverpool to Portsmouth would be M6/M40 then A34. All these are heavily congested, wall to wall trucks most if the way. If you have time, avoid the motorways and ride down the Welsh border area. Shrewsbury / Ludlow then cut across to Swindon and Portsmouth. Clearly takes longer, but I suspect that isn't a deciding factor fr you.

Panama City Beach...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Isle of Man

Within 24 hours I have received substantial information that has completely changed my plans for travel from Heidelberg to Douglas to Le Mans. The revisions are vastly superior to my initial plans. Thanks

9. Re: Travel to Isle of Man

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 18, 2014