To cut a long story short, we're popping over to IoM for a very quick weekend (in 2 weeks time, end of April), we're flying from London City so arriving Saturday morning and departing Sunday evening back to London. I guess you could call it a 'taster', we're coming over for my girlfriend's birthday and her parents are meeting us over there for the weekend (flying up from Liverpool, they're from up North!). We've fancied the IoM for a while as we prefer the great outdoors to city life, so this is a chance to see how much we'd like to go back at a later date.
We're staying in Castletown and we have a hire car. The aim as soon as we land at 10am on the Saturday is to hit the road and get touring. Preferably have lunch somewhere scenic, do a bit of walking in the afternoon. Saturday evening we'll eat at our hotel as it means we can all drink without having to worry about driving home. Sunday we'll probably fancy breakfast in a local cafe, then lunch again somewhere different on Sunday afternoon before heading back to the airport around 5pm.
In terms of what we'd like to do:
- Spend a bit of time in at least 2 or 3 scenic villages/harbours, and along some of the best bits of coastline.
- Drive around getting a feel for the island, and if possible get up to Snae Fell for the views (provided the weather is clear and worthwhile making the trip).
- Have at least a couple of hours walking along the coast somewhere quiet with some good scenery, again weather dependent.
- A couple of nice lunches. In terms of lunch stops, (unfortunately) my girlfriend isn't a huge fan of seafood and so we'd be looking for an atmospheric/quaint pub with big servings of hearty food. If you've ever been to the Lake District, that's the style of pub we like!
- It would be prudent one day to sample some good local seafood, more for her parent's sake as I know it's something they enjoy. Probably something we could do on the Sunday, as the Saturday is her actual birthday we should probably stick to something that she prefers that day!
What we don't want to do:
- Spend ages driving a long way just to reach one sight/attraction, as we haven't really got the time. Ideally we need to tie up our sightseeing so that it runs fairly smoothly without too much time spent going back/forwards across the island by car. An anti-clockwise tour around the island starting at Castletown for example would make sense in my head.
- Spend too long in any of the bigger seaside towns. Even if they are nice compared to the average seaside town, it's just not really what we're looking for, we always prefer the smaller villages and we don't have children to keep occupied with amusements etc.
Sorry that sounds a bit long winded, any suggestions would be most welcome! I must admit being very busy with work and planning a trip to Canada next month has left me with not much time to research the IoM. As the time draws closer, I'm excited abotu the trip but with so much to see/do it's difficult knowing how best to spend our short time.
Many thanks in advance for any pointers.