We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Itinerary Ideas

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Weekend Itinerary Ideas

Hello all,

To cut a long story short, we're popping over to IoM for a very quick weekend (in 2 weeks time, end of April), we're flying from London City so arriving Saturday morning and departing Sunday evening back to London. I guess you could call it a 'taster', we're coming over for my girlfriend's birthday and her parents are meeting us over there for the weekend (flying up from Liverpool, they're from up North!). We've fancied the IoM for a while as we prefer the great outdoors to city life, so this is a chance to see how much we'd like to go back at a later date.

We're staying in Castletown and we have a hire car. The aim as soon as we land at 10am on the Saturday is to hit the road and get touring. Preferably have lunch somewhere scenic, do a bit of walking in the afternoon. Saturday evening we'll eat at our hotel as it means we can all drink without having to worry about driving home. Sunday we'll probably fancy breakfast in a local cafe, then lunch again somewhere different on Sunday afternoon before heading back to the airport around 5pm.

In terms of what we'd like to do:

- Spend a bit of time in at least 2 or 3 scenic villages/harbours, and along some of the best bits of coastline.

- Drive around getting a feel for the island, and if possible get up to Snae Fell for the views (provided the weather is clear and worthwhile making the trip).

- Have at least a couple of hours walking along the coast somewhere quiet with some good scenery, again weather dependent.

- A couple of nice lunches. In terms of lunch stops, (unfortunately) my girlfriend isn't a huge fan of seafood and so we'd be looking for an atmospheric/quaint pub with big servings of hearty food. If you've ever been to the Lake District, that's the style of pub we like!

- It would be prudent one day to sample some good local seafood, more for her parent's sake as I know it's something they enjoy. Probably something we could do on the Sunday, as the Saturday is her actual birthday we should probably stick to something that she prefers that day!

What we don't want to do:

- Spend ages driving a long way just to reach one sight/attraction, as we haven't really got the time. Ideally we need to tie up our sightseeing so that it runs fairly smoothly without too much time spent going back/forwards across the island by car. An anti-clockwise tour around the island starting at Castletown for example would make sense in my head.

- Spend too long in any of the bigger seaside towns. Even if they are nice compared to the average seaside town, it's just not really what we're looking for, we always prefer the smaller villages and we don't have children to keep occupied with amusements etc.

Sorry that sounds a bit long winded, any suggestions would be most welcome! I must admit being very busy with work and planning a trip to Canada next month has left me with not much time to research the IoM. As the time draws closer, I'm excited abotu the trip but with so much to see/do it's difficult knowing how best to spend our short time.

Many thanks in advance for any pointers.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,687 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend Itinerary Ideas

Hello! We loved the IOM and are sure you will too. We thought Castletown itself was an attractive and interesting place, especially the Castle. We thought Peel was more attractive than either of the other towns, Douglas and Ramsey, the coast south of Peel made a lovely walk, Don't miss Laxey and the wheel - probably the islands most famous sight and deservedly so. Even if the top of Snaefell is in must, the journey up is beautiful, but for the best flavour of what the island has to offer, take the mountain railway rather than driving. Finally, although you have a car, two of the islands main, and most interesting, attractions are the steam railway from Port Erin to Douglas and the electric trams from Douglas to Ramsay via Laxey. Try to fit in a ride, IMO the electric trams are more interesting and run through better scenery.

2. Re: Weekend Itinerary Ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:25 am, February 12, 2015
Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend Itinerary Ideas

Great advice from Buddysmum,especially the kipper baps,haven't tried them,I'll be putting that right,a particularly nice pub for lunch IMO is the Hop Garden on the main road from Douglas to Castletown,great food & if the weather is nice,lovely gardens to sit in,the Island is a beautiful place,you will be back!

4. Re: Weekend Itinerary Ideas

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:25 am, February 12, 2015
Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend Itinerary Ideas

Buddysmum,don't know what to say,the Hop Garden an Italian Eatery,horrific,sorry no offence meant to Italy but this was such a nice country pub

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend Itinerary Ideas

Thank you so much for all of the kind information! Lots to digest, so will print off a copy and highlight some things on a map. It looks like the weather will remain quite rough up there for a while yet, long range forecast suggesting lots of wet weather and quite cool temperatures so we may need to stick to the car a little bit more than we'd have liked! Either way, it's only a taster and I'm sure we'll return for longer next time :)

7. Re: Weekend Itinerary Ideas

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 22, 2014